public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: "Aaron M. Renn" <arenn@urbanophile.com>
Cc: mauve-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com, abies@pg.gda.pl
Subject: Re: Character Test
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:33:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Aaron> A word of warning: This test is very thorough and takes a very
Aaron> long time to run.

I think this code is also moderately buggy.  For instance, it says
that Character.digit(\u00b2,6) should be 2.  However, that is not the
case.  \u00b2 is not a digit per the table in the JCL book.

The test gives me nearly 1000 errors for my implementation of
Character.  However, I actually think my implementation is correct (or
if it is not, it has very few bugs).

Artur, could you fix the bugs?  Patches against the Mauve version of
your test would be the easiest way for us...

Until the changes are made, I'd advise against changing your
implementation based on the output of this test.

Aaron> I'm using the Unicode 2.1.2 database file, which I also checked
Aaron> into the archive.

Is there a particular reason you didn't use the 2.1.5 version of the
database?  That is the latest version (as of sometime last month; I
haven't looked in a few weeks).

Some care is required here.  JDK conformance actually depends on using
the correct version of the table.  For JDK 1.0, I believe a very old
Unicode data table was used.

Tom