public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-17  3:03 Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2005-09-17  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

* Re: Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-17 15:03 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2005-09-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ranjit Mathew; +Cc: mauve-discuss

>>>>> "Ranjit" == Ranjit Mathew <rmathew@gmail.com> writes:

Ranjit> Does anyone have any objections to moving Jacks to JLS 3rd
Ranjit> Edition?

Nope.

Ranjit>   3. Removing tests that are no longer wrong. For example,
Ranjit>      auto-boxing in JLS 3 invalidates some of the testcases.

How about making them conditional so that people can continue to test
1.4 compilers?  I think this is probably worthwhile for the next year
or so.

Tom

* Re: Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-17 17:04   ` Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2005-09-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

* Re: Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-19 14:49     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2005-09-19 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ranjit Mathew; +Cc: mauve-discuss

>> How about making them conditional so that people can continue to test
>> 1.4 compilers?  I think this is probably worthwhile for the next year
>> or so.

Ranjit> Yes, that'll be better, though I'm not sure of the Tcl incantations
Ranjit> necessary to achieve that.

Actually I have a patch to add '!boxing' constraints where needed,
that I forgot to check in.  Whoops.

Ranjit> [I notice that there are separate constraints called "jsr201" and
Ranjit> "staticImport" - AFAIK, JSR201 included static import (along with
Ranjit> auto-boxing, enhanced for, etc.). And I also notice that mainline
Ranjit> GCJ's gcj_setup should switch off for these constraints.]

Yeah.  The 201 additions were not planned much.
Feel free to fix this stuff if you like.

Tom

* Re: Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-20  6:10       ` Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2005-09-20  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: mauve-discuss

On 19 Sep 2005 08:43:28 -0600, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

> Ranjit> [I notice that there are separate constraints called "jsr201" and
> Ranjit> "staticImport" - AFAIK, JSR201 included static import (along with
> Ranjit> auto-boxing, enhanced for, etc.). And I also notice that mainline
> Ranjit> GCJ's gcj_setup should switch off for these constraints.]
>
> Yeah.  The 201 additions were not planned much.
> Feel free to fix this stuff if you like.

Judging by your recent patch, and just to be clear, you'd prefer
the constraints to be "boxing", "staticImport", "generics", etc.
rather than a blanket "jsr201", right?

Thanks,
Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew      Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.    Web: http://ranjitmathew.hostingzero.com/

* Re: Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-20 14:43         ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2005-09-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmathew; +Cc: mauve-discuss

>> Yeah.  The 201 additions were not planned much.
>> Feel free to fix this stuff if you like.

Ranjit> Judging by your recent patch, and just to be clear, you'd prefer
Ranjit> the constraints to be "boxing", "staticImport", "generics", etc.
Ranjit> rather than a blanket "jsr201", right?

Actually I expect we won't gain much by having separate constraints,
most compilers just have a single 1.4/1.5 switch (gcjx has separate
switches but it isn't totally clear that this makes sense in all
circumstances -- I imagine I'll end up getting rid of those).

Tom

* Re: Keeping Jacks Up-to-date
@ 2005-09-21  5:08           ` Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2005-09-21  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: mauve-discuss

On 20 Sep 2005 08:37:07 -0600, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Yeah.  The 201 additions were not planned much.
> >> Feel free to fix this stuff if you like.
>
> Ranjit> Judging by your recent patch, and just to be clear, you'd prefer
> Ranjit> the constraints to be "boxing", "staticImport", "generics", etc.
> Ranjit> rather than a blanket "jsr201", right?
>
> Actually I expect we won't gain much by having separate constraints,
> most compilers just have a single 1.4/1.5 switch (gcjx has separate
> switches but it isn't totally clear that this makes sense in all
> circumstances -- I imagine I'll end up getting rid of those).

So we should just have a single "jls3" (or whatever) constraint
to cover all these?

Ranjit.

--

@ 2005-09-22 15:47             ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2005-09-22 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmathew; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Ranjit> So we should just have a single "jls3" (or whatever) constraint
Ranjit> to cover all these?

Yes, I think so.

Tom