On Sep 8 07:40, Freddie Chopin wrote: > On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 15:58 -0600, Brian Inglis wrote: > > The question is, going forward, should we use long for bigger than > > int values as > > usual, or use time_t instead, to consistently avoid long, in these > > time functions. > > I think we should go with time_t, which will be 32-bit or 64-bit long, > depending on what was chosen during newlib compilation. While that's nice and all, two points to keep in mind: * 64 bit computations are costly on 32 bit (or even 16 bit) platforms and should be avoided if overkill isn't your goal. * days, months, years, etc, are *all* of type int in struct tm, per POSIX. Adding 64 bit ops just to fold stuff back into ints might only make marginal sense. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Cygwin Maintainer Red Hat