public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* Properly building newlib to install spec files
@ 2019-01-05 21:19 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2019-01-05 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

Hi,

I'm fixing some packages for a package manager. I think I have a bunch
of various working gcc crosscompilers, but if I try to test something
like

$ msp430-elf-gcc -mmcu=msp430g2211 -specs=nosys.specs -o test.elf test.c
msp430-elf-gcc: error: nosys.specs: No such file or directory

apparently the specs files are missing.

I'm creating a symlink from gcc to newlib and build gcc with
--with-newlib, but apparently the files don't get installed. I noticed
that random instructions suggest separately building:
- first gcc
- then newlib
- then gcc again
http://www.ifp.illinois.edu/~nakazato/tips/xgcc.html#gccagain

while other instructions say to use just --with-newlib.

Can you please advise me how to build newlib in a proper way, so that
the spec files will be installed? Where should they usually end up?

Thank you very much,
    Mojca