public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: jdoubleu <hi@jdoubleu.de>
To: newlib@sourceware.org
Subject: Does newlib support x86_64-pc-linux-gnu?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 14:50:30 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

please excuse me asking. I'm fairly new to newlib and don't see the
bigger picture yet. I was wondering whether it is possible to build
newlib for the linux platform. I would like to link my program against
newlib instead of glibc and run it on linux.

 From what I understand, it would just require some startup code and a
backend which forwards some calls to the kernel using syscalls, doesn't it?

Is there anything that speaks against it? Besides not having a real
use-case.

I'm trying to run the testsuite on my linux host. Right now, all tests
are linked against glibc, causing me to test glibc instead of newlib.

This would really help me testing newlib, because I don't have any
"special" hardware, nor emulators setup. It does also offer the
possibility to test newlib farily easy in a CI.

My host and target platform is: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

--
Cheers
---