public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca>
To: newlib@sourceware.org
Cc: Keith Clifford <kclifford@tranaptic.ca>
Subject: Re: Newlib build fails
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:01:58 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2023-06-23 17:57, Keith Clifford wrote:
> I am building newlib for a MinGW cross compiler tool chain for ARM, M68K,
> and PowerPC. The build fails in all cases and I've included a patch that
> allows me to get the build to work.
> The pertinent details are:
> Newlib version:  4.3.0
> Build system: CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19045 Keith-PC 3.4.6-1.x86_64 2023-02-14 13:23
> UTC x86_64 Cygwin
> Host: MinGW
> Target: arm-eabi, m68k-elf, and powerpc-eabi   (see ${TARGET} below)
> Configure parameters: --target=${TARGET} --prefix=${PREFIX}
> The -print-multi-lib option for the respective built gcc generates output
> for which the end of line is "\r\n" and config-ml.in leaves the '\r' in the
> "flags" variable, in the following patch, confusing subsequent processing.

Mingw is a native Windows hosted compiler using CR-LF EoLs, as is the Git for
Windows you are using, and the patch you generated appears to be double spaced
with a bunch of blank lines.
If you built Cygwin-hosted cross-compilers and target binutils, and used Cygwin
git, you would not have to deal with any CR-LF EoLs.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry