public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* C11/POSIX-2024 Questions
@ 2024-06-28 14:37 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2024-06-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib

Hi

I am finishing up reviewing the additions from POSIX Issue 8 which was
released recently. I noticed a few things and have questions on the right
approach.

+ I only have the final draft for POSIX-2024. It says "_POSIX_VERSION to
the value
20yymmL." It isn't on the web yet for the HTML version. Anyone know the
value this has in the final version?

+ sys/features.h appears to need this new POSIX version added at least to
the comment block. I don't think it necessarily changes any logic below
that.

+ memmem is in string.h under the __GNU_VISIBLE guard. Does it now need to
be under a __POSIX_VISIBLE > 2024mmdd and __GNU_VISIBLE?

+ aligned_alloc in stdlib.h is only guarded by C > 2011. Does that need to
be an || POSIX >= 2024 also?

+ C11 and POSIX-2024 add these complex methods.

double complex CMPLX(double x, double y);
float complex CMPLXF(float x, float y);
long double complex CMPLXL(long double x, long double y);

FreeBSD has a macro implementation (
https://github.com/lattera/freebsd/blob/master/include/complex.h#L49). If I
add that to complex.h, does it also need a __ISO_C_VISIBLE >= 2011 ||
__POSIX_VISIBLE > 2024mmdd guard?

+ Should I continue to look for guards on things that are newly added in
POSIX 2024 and already in newlib?

That's it so far. Just picky stuff that I plan to address given some advice.

--joel