On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 2:57 AM Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Aug 17 17:06, Joel Sherrill wrote: > > Hi > > > > I'm looking at newlib long double support again when sizeof(long double) > != > > sizeof(double). > > > > (1) Merged FreeBSD C code for long double math > > > > FreeBSD has C code for long double math routines as default > implementation: > > > > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/main/lib/msun/src > > > > I **THINK** those will work if LDBL != DBL so that code might need the > > ifdef for LDBL_EQ_DBL to pick the current newlib common implementation of > > the method which just calls the normal version of the method. I code > even > > add the files as XXX_freebsd.c and only add > > > > ifdef _LDBL_EQ_DBL > > long double > > acosl (long double x) > > { > > return acos(x); > > } > > #else > > #include "acosl_freebsd.c" > > #endif > > > > which would definitely avoid edits to the FreeBSD source. > > Question is, do we really still need this? > > These #ifdef have been added just as a cheap workaround for small > targets, because nobody provided the actual long double implementations, > yet. If we merge the actual long double implementations from FreeBSD, > there's no need for this anymore and we can probably drop the > _LDBL_EQ_DBL flag entirely. > I think that's hopeful thinking although I like the idea of importing the FreeBSD code. I have attached a slightly updated version of the script I used to probe which targets were _LDBL_EQ_DBL. Two yes'es means that _LDBL_EQ_DBL implementation is used. Two no's means that it needs a real long double implementation -- if my script and probe program are correct. has_long_double]$ sh j TARGET in lib ldbl=dbl ================= ====== ======== aarch64-rtems6 no no arm-rtems6 yes yes bfin-rtems6 yes yes i386-rtems6 no no lm32-rtems6 yes yes m68k-rtems6 no no microblaze-rtems6 yes yes mips-rtems6 yes yes moxie-rtems6 yes yes nios2-rtems6 yes yes or1k-rtems6 yes yes powerpc-rtems6 yes yes riscv-rtems6 no no sh-rtems6 yes yes sparc64-rtems6 no no sparc-rtems6 yes yes v850-rtems6 yes yes x86_64-rtems6 no no Hopefully that aligns ok on your side. Most of the targets seem to be able to legitimately use the current _LDBL_EQ_DBL implementations. What about two directories of long double implementations. One is for _LDBL_EQ_DBL and the other is the FreeBSD code. I think libm/Makefile.inc already has an example of picking one of two directories based on an automake flag. Adding one for to reflect _LDBL_EQ_DBL and picking either one of the two long double math implementation directories should work. Names are always an issue. I have no ideas for good names for the directories. Something somewhat horrible like common/ldbl_eq_double and common/ldbl are the best I have. > If we just merge the long double code from FreeBSD's lib/msun/src > into our libm/common dir... > Maybe a subdirectory or parallel directory so we can keep the _LDBL_EQ_DBL where it is needed. > > > (2) More i386 assembly versions > > > > Then there appears to be some long double methods for the i386/87 here > > which newlib doesn't currently have: > > > > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/main/lib/msun/i387 > > > > Thoughts on adding this long double code from FreeBSD? > > ...and merge the occasional CPU-specific assembler code from > FreeBSD's lib/msun/ into our libm/machine/ dir, that > should work nicely. > :) I think you've said in the past that Cygwin has these but the calling conventions are different. Is that something that has to be taken into account in newlib? --joel > > > Corinna > >