public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: Chris Packham <judge.packham@gmail.com>
To: Torbjorn SVENSSON <torbjorn.svensson@foss.st.com>
Cc: newlib@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Build error for moxiebox architecture
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:04:20 +1200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 10:24 PM Torbjorn SVENSSON
<torbjorn.svensson@foss.st.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 2023-08-13 02:27, Chris Packham wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm getting the next crosstool-ng release together and one build
> > failure we're having is for the moxiebox architecture:
> >
> > moxie-unknown-moxiebox/lib/libc.a(libc_a-closer.o): in function `_close_r':
> > moxie-unknown-moxiebox/src/newlib/newlib/libc/reent/closer.c:47:
> > undefined reference to `_close'
> >
> > and similar for _lseek, _read, _write and _sbrk
>
> As you do not include the link line, I'm assuming that you are not using
> anything out of the ordinary. In this case, maybe you should give
> --specs=nosys.specs a go and see if it helps.
> Regardless if it helps or not, it will likely only provide you with
> stubs that you need to override in you application to get something working.

Yeah sorry. I'll get things in an issue for ct-ng so we have a proper
record to refer back to.

One thing I have found is that things work fine with 4.2.0.20211231
but fail with 4.3.0.20230120 (or the tip of main). I did see the
recent commit 55485616b ("Bring back libsim.a for riscv") and I note
the moxiebox definition of _close() is in libsim.a so this made me
wonder if whatever issue was affecting riscv was related to the moxie
failure. But I also note that there has been a bit of a change in some
Makefiles as per commit 66dfedc28 ("libgloss: merge bfin into
top-level Makefile").

So as a first step maybe I need to do a similar conversion. It looks
like those conversions involve some code changes and then the result
of running automake but I'm not sure what parts are manual and what
parts are from running automake. Any pointers on doing this for
another architecture.