On 28 Oct 2022 17:40, Torbjorn SVENSSON wrote: > With the recent improvements in the build system by Mike Frysinger, I've > noticed a minor regression. this is not new behavior. you can check out newlib-4.1.0 which doesn't contain any of my build changes and it does the same thing. > When building newlib, the file libgloss/doc/porting.info is always > created in the source tree rather than the build tree. Looking at the > libgloss/Makefile.* files, it appears that this is derived from the > libgloss/doc/Makefile.inc line: > info_TEXINFOS += %D%/porting.texi > > To my knowledge (no automake wiz...), %D% is a relative path, so I > suppose the generated path should not use $(srcdir), yet the Makefile.in > does contain $(srcdir)/doc/porting.info. > > Would it be possible to have this porting.info file generated in the > build tree rather than the source tree to avoid having the source tree > in a dirty state after a build? this is WAI. info files are distributed with releases, so it should be generated in the source tree. this is documented here: https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html#Standard-Targets > 'info' > Normally a GNU distribution comes with Info files, and that means the Info > files are present in the source directory. Therefore, the Make rule for an > info file should update it in the source directory. When users build the > package, ordinarily Make will not update the Info files because they will > already be up to date. -mike