public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* Issues subscribing to mailing list
@ 2023-01-24  0:53 Ignacio Vargas
From: Ignacio Vargas @ 2023-01-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

Greetings,

I've been trying to subscribe to the mailing list throughout the past
few hours but whenever I click the "subscribe" button the site returns
me a 500 error code and then it seems the whole site goes down for a
while. In which case, I want to apologize for bringing down the site
multiple times today. I'm writing to the mailing list to get help with
this issue because I needed to join to ask some questions and I can't
find an "administrator" contact anywhere on the site.

Please reply to me at: ignacio.vargas@rapidsilicon.com

In the interest of possibly saving us some time I'm also going to
mention what I needed to ask about. In case the answer is a simple "no"
then I won't have anymore to say anyways, but please don't feel
obligated at all to answer my query:

      I was considering writing a stripped-down baremetal version of
    argp
    (https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Argp.html#index-argp-_0028program-argument-parser_0029)
    from glibc. I was wondering if I could write it as a contribution to
    newlib and, similarly to glibc's argp, write it using getopt. I
    mostly don't know if newlib would accept it because it's a library
    specific to GNU-C.

Best regards,

Ignacio Vargas

* Re: Issues subscribing to mailing list
@ 2023-01-24 10:57 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-01-24 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignacio Vargas; +Cc: newlib

On Jan 23 18:53, Ignacio Vargas wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I've been trying to subscribe to the mailing list throughout the past few
> hours but whenever I click the "subscribe" button the site returns me a 500
> error code and then it seems the whole site goes down for a while. In which
> case, I want to apologize for bringing down the site multiple times today.
> I'm writing to the mailing list to get help with this issue because I needed
> to join to ask some questions and I can't find an "administrator" contact
> anywhere on the site.

There's a mailing list <overseers AT sourceware DOT org> for that,
please ask there.

> In the interest of possibly saving us some time I'm also going to mention
> what I needed to ask about. In case the answer is a simple "no" then I won't
> have anymore to say anyways, but please don't feel obligated at all to
> answer my query:
>
>      I was considering writing a stripped-down baremetal version of
>    argp
>    (https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Argp.html#index-argp-_0028program-argument-parser_0029)
>    from glibc. I was wondering if I could write it as a contribution to
>    newlib and, similarly to glibc's argp, write it using getopt. I
>    mostly don't know if newlib would accept it because it's a library
>    specific to GNU-C.

Newlib already has a couple of GNU-specific functions implemented,
so that's no problem.

The only potential problem is the license.  If you write your argp
implementation from scratch, you can use any BSD-like license you like.
However, if you take the gloibc code as base, your code would be GPLed,
which is not feasible for almost all targets supported by newlib.

Corinna