On 08 Nov 2021 11:05, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Nov 6 20:21, Mike Frysinger wrote: > > i stumbled across _COMPILING_NEWLIB and it seems to be what i want: a symbol > > that indicates the code currently being compiled is newlib itself so that the > > header can change behavior for that environment specifically. is that what > > it's meant for ? > > > > if so, why does it seem to be inconsistently defined ? newlib/configure.host > > will add it for a few random targets, as does the mips-specific > > newlib/libc/machine/mips/Makefile.am, as do a few specific winsup/cygwin/ > > files. it feels like the patch below is what we should have. > > > > if that's not what this is for, is there a define that has this meaning ? > > in the glibc & gnulib world, the plain _LIBC define indicates this. > > _COMPILING_NEWLIB might be older than that. In Cygwin we certainly need > it during build. Your patch looks good to me, did you test it for some > targets? yes, i tested it for bfin-elf and with a change that needed it in ctype.h. the ctype.h change didn't work until i updated the build this way. -mike