public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
To: Christian Franke <Christian.Franke@t-online.de>
Cc: newlib@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Hide non-standard itoa/utoa() in stdlib.h or drop these functions?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:56:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Jan 28 13:52, Christian Franke wrote:
> > The problem is that _GNU_SOURCE got synonymous for "everything and the
> > kitchen sink", and there's no blessed way around that other than
> > defining another source standard instead.
>
> My interpretation was "everything and the kitchen sink - except everything
> never provided by glibc or Linux" :-)
>
> > Do we really want to create our own kind of "this is
> > non-standard"-standard?
> >
> > That would be something like __NEWLIB_VISIBLE / _NEWLIB_SOURCE.
> >
> > But, then again, for just two seldom used APIs?
>
> The API is seldom used, possibly not or no longer well known and definitely
> unavailable in widely used other C libs. This increases the risk of a
> conflict with local functions with the same name. Busybox is a real world
> example.

I never doubted that.  My question is NOT how we can keep itoa/utoa
alive and striving.  I think we have really only two ways of going
forward:

  #if __CYGWIN__'ize itoa/utoa prototypes in stdlib.h, but DO NOT
  #if __CYGWIN__'ize __itoa/__utoa, because they are living in
  reserved namespace anyway

or

  drop the definitions of itoa/utoa from itoa.c and utoa.c, drop the
  prototypes from stdlib.h, but NEITHER drop __itoa/__utoa from
  the source files NOR drop their prototypes.

I favor the second approach, but if we can't get this sorted out
within the next two days, we'll go ahead with the first approach.

Corinna