public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: John Scott <jscott@posteo.net>
To: newlib@sourceware.org
Subject: Newlib copyright review
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 12:14:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm re-doing the packaging of Newlib for Debian, and that means I'm doing a full-blown copyright review where I'm recording the copyright holders and license terms for every last file. It would be a shame if folks in other distros had to duplicate my effort. I was thinking, if I'm going to be doing this anyway perhaps I can upstream my efforts and make Newlib comply with the REUSE specification?

If you haven't heard of it, REUSE uses SPDX-FileCopyrightText and SPDX-License-Identifier to make all the copyright and license information machine-readable. It's a specification from the Free Software Foundation Europe. If you're okay with me doing this, please let me know whether you want these tags to replace the existing copyright and license notices, or to be in addition to them and tagged on to what's already there.

If you're not interested, please let me know so I know to resume my efforts in Debian. But I'm offering to put in all of the work and since Newlib has so many different copyright holders and licenses it seems like you could really benefit.