public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* and my ship fades off into the nite
@ 2022-03-17  3:15 Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2022-03-17  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

just a heads up that i've largely "completed" the work that i intend to on the
libgloss & newlib build systems.  hopefully people find it better off than when
i started.  i'll still be around, so if i introduced a regression, i'm happy to
take a look.  if people have questions, hopefully the documentation updates i
merged will cover it, or i can explain things as needed.  but other than the
few minor patches i've already posted, i don't have anything else scheduled.
i'm off to find another project to procrastinate on instead.
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: and my ship fades off into the nite
@ 2022-03-17  6:32 ` Sebastian Huber
From: Sebastian Huber @ 2022-03-17  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On 17/03/2022 04:15, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> just a heads up that i've largely "completed" the work that i intend to on the
> libgloss & newlib build systems.  hopefully people find it better off than when
> i started.  i'll still be around, so if i introduced a regression, i'm happy to
> take a look.  if people have questions, hopefully the documentation updates i
> merged will cover it, or i can explain things as needed.  but other than the
> few minor patches i've already posted, i don't have anything else scheduled.
> i'm off to find another project to procrastinate on instead.

Thanks a lot for your great work in cleaning up and documenting the
Newlib build system. I think this was a really big step for Newlib
maintainability.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München
Registernummer: HRB 157899

* Re: and my ship fades off into the nite
@ 2022-03-17  9:51   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-03-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On Mar 17 07:32, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 17/03/2022 04:15, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > just a heads up that i've largely "completed" the work that i intend to on the
> > libgloss & newlib build systems.  hopefully people find it better off than when
> > i started.  i'll still be around, so if i introduced a regression, i'm happy to
> > take a look.  if people have questions, hopefully the documentation updates i
> > merged will cover it, or i can explain things as needed.  but other than the
> > few minor patches i've already posted, i don't have anything else scheduled.
> > i'm off to find another project to procrastinate on instead.
>
> Thanks a lot for your great work in cleaning up and documenting the Newlib
> build system. I think this was a really big step for Newlib maintainability.

I second that.  Getting newlib's build system up to speed like this is a
major improvement and tackling that was a heroic task.

Thanks a lot!

Corinna

* Re: and my ship fades off into the nite
@ 2022-03-17 13:28     ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2022-03-17 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:52 AM Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 17 07:32, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> > On 17/03/2022 04:15, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > just a heads up that i've largely "completed" the work that i intend
> to on the
> > > libgloss & newlib build systems.  hopefully people find it better off
> than when
> > > i started.  i'll still be around, so if i introduced a regression, i'm
> happy to
> > > take a look.  if people have questions, hopefully the documentation
> updates i
> > > merged will cover it, or i can explain things as needed.  but other
> than the
> > > few minor patches i've already posted, i don't have anything else
> scheduled.
> > > i'm off to find another project to procrastinate on instead.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your great work in cleaning up and documenting the
> Newlib
> > build system. I think this was a really big step for Newlib
> maintainability.
>
> I second that.  Getting newlib's build system up to speed like this is a
> major improvement and tackling that was a heroic task.

Explaining it to Google Summer of Code students interested in adding
some capability was very frustrating. It generally took a while before they
could add anything.

Speed improvements are always great but this was a huge win in the
simplicity department.

> Thanks a lot!

This is very much appreciated.

--joel

@ 2022-03-17 18:15       ` Jeff Johnston
From: Jeff Johnston @ 2022-03-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 9:28 AM Joel Sherrill <joel@rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:52 AM Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
> wrote:

> > to on the
> > than when
> i'm
> > happy to
> > updates i
> > than the
> > scheduled.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for your great work in cleaning up and documenting the
> > Newlib
> > > build system. I think this was a really big step for Newlib
> > maintainability.
> >
> > I second that.  Getting newlib's build system up to speed like this is a
> > major improvement and tackling that was a heroic task.
> >

> Explaining it to Google Summer of Code students interested in adding
> some capability was very frustrating. It generally took a while before they
> could add anything.
>
> Speed improvements are always great but this was a huge win in the
> simplicity department.
>

> > Thanks a lot!
> >

> This is very much appreciated.
>
> --joel

Definitely.  Thanks Mike for all your hard work.

-- Jeff J.

@ 2022-03-23 10:08 ` Sebastian Huber
From: Sebastian Huber @ 2022-03-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

Hello Mike,

just for your information. I built the following RTEMS targets

* aarch64-rtems
* arm-rtems
* bfin-rtems
* i386-rtems
* lm32-rtems
* m68k-rtems
* microblaze-rtems
* mips-rtems
* moxie-rtems
* nios2-rtems
* or1k-rtems
* powerpc-rtems
* riscv-rtems
* sh-rtems
* sparc64-rtems
* sparc-rtems
* v850-rtems
* x86_64-rtems

with Newlib 64b208103d284e8b64db604b34736a861e14b927, Binutils 2.38, and
the latest GCC 10 and master branches. I built also all RTEMS BSPs with
tests. It looks all good now. Thanks again for your great work.