public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca>
To: newlib@sourceware.org
Cc: "An, Douwa" <douwa.an@qq.com>, "douwa.an" <douwa.an@montage-tech.com>
Subject: Re: newlib license question
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:01:50 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2023-07-03 21:30, An, Douwa wrote:
> I am struggling with the newlib license since i saw GPL license in git repo.
> It declares that newlib subdirectory is non-GPL related, however, there are GPL code in newlib root directory,&nbsp;
> 1) can we confirm that newlib subdirectory is not infected?&nbsp; which gnu official statement can certify it?&nbsp;
> 2) if I only build baremetal metal newlib, is GPL code used? Can i say newlib I build is non GPL related?

IANAL!

It appears according to licence docs, that Cygwin and Linux targets have LGPL
components, fr30 target has GPL components, and standards texinfo docs have GFDL
components.

The rest of newlib should be covered by BSD compatible licences allowing
commercial use, including files from a number of commercial corps; also newlib
is contributed to, supported and used by a number of commercial corps, including
ARM, HP, IBM, Intel, and RedHat, plus many other embedded and RT corps, as part
of corps commercial products, which may include proprietary modifications or
components not allowed by copyleft licenses.

IANAL!

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry