public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* accuracy of mathematical functions
@ 2021-02-05 10:43 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2021-02-05 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

       Hi,

I have updated my comparison with the newly released 2.33 version.
No big difference with the previous version, except that I included
the "long double" format (aka ldbl-96), which is not supported by Newlib.

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/#accuracy

Best regards,
Paul

* accuracy of mathematical functions
@ 2021-08-03  7:59 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2021-08-03  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

       Hi,

I am about to publish a new version of the comparison of the accuracy of
mathematical functions. This new version will be co-authored with Vincenzo
Innocente and will include two new libraries: Apple Libm and CUDA.

I take the opportunity to check the following issues, which seem to be still
present in the last release (4.1.0) of Newlib that we will use in that update:

* large error for powf (169 ulps)

* sqrtf not correctly rounded for directed rounding modes -> fixed in git version

* large error for pow in double precision (636 ulps)

Are some of these issues fixed in the git version, or are there plans to fix
them?

Best regards,
Paul

PS: the previous version (already with 4.1.0) is available here:
https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf

* accuracy of mathematical functions
@ 2021-09-07 15:01 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2021-09-07 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

       Hi,

a new version is available, co-authored with Vincenzo Innocente:

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/#accuracy

There was no new release of Newlib since the last update (the last
release is still 4.1.0), but for some functions we have found larger
errors (for example for binary64 expm1 the maximal error increased
from 0.902 to 0.907 ulps).

This update includes two new libraries: Apple and CUDA.

Best regards,
Paul Zimmermann

* Accuracy of Mathematical Functions
@ 2022-02-16  8:42 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2022-02-16  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: vincenzo.innocente

       Hi,

we have updated our comparison with Newlib 4.2.0:

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf

There is not much change with respect to 4.1.0, only
larger errors for expf, tgammaf and lgammaf, but this
is due to a bug in our testing program, which did not
report those values before.

New libraries are compared: LLVM and ROCm.

Paul Zimmermann

* Accuracy of Mathematical Functions
@ 2022-08-29 10:50 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2022-08-29 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: vincenzo.innocente

       Hi,

we have updated our comparison:

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf

This update uses the same release of Newlib (4.2.0) as the previous one,
thus there is no much new for Newlib. The single precision issues are still
there (see "Notes about Newlib" on page 3).

The main change is that the LLVM library now implements a few
correctly-rounded routines in single precision (log, log10, log2,
hypot), and hypot in double precision.

Best regards,
Paul

* Accuracy of Mathematical Functions
@ 2023-02-14  8:13 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2023-02-14  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: vincenzo.innocente

       Hi,

we have updated our comparison:

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf

This update uses the new release of Newlib (4.3.0). for which we noticed some
regressions (already reported on this list).

The main change is that the LLVM library now implements more

@ 2023-09-21  7:24 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2023-09-21  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: vincenzo.innocente, riemannic

       Hi,

we have updated our comparison:

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf

This is a new version with updated versions of the different libraries and:

* the Microsoft math library is now included (it was clearly missing)
* we also added the FreeBSD math library
* and we added some new C23 functions (acospi, cospi, ...) which are available
  in the Intel and FreeBSD math libraries

This version uses the same Newlib version (4.3.0) as the previous one,
thus there is no much change for Newlib.

In particular the regression for tgammaf I reported on February 8 is still
there:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/newlib/2023/020171.html

Same for the huge error in pow reported on February 7:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/newlib/2023/020164.html

Corinna, since you asked, a correctly rounded version is available here:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/core-math/core-math/-/blob/master/src/binary64/pow/pow.c

Best regards,
Paul Zimmermann

* Accuracy of Mathematical Functions
@ 2024-02-15 14:54 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2024-02-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: vincenzo.innocente, riemannic, johnmather

       Dear all,

we have updated our comparison:

https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf

This is a new version with updated versions of the different libraries, in particular
from Newlib 4.3.0 to 4.4.0, new corner cases found, and the ARM Performance Library
is now included.

Paul Zimmermann