* install mpfr-dev package on sourceware
@ 2023-01-07 12:47 Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2023-01-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello,

The GDB daily snapshot has been broken since we changed the toplevel
configure script to produce an error if we can't find a minimal version
of GMP and MPFR:

    commit 991180627851801f1999d1ebbc0e569a17e47c74
    Subject: Use toplevel configure for GMP and MPFR for gdb

I finally took a look at the config.log, and it's about the mpfr.h
missing. I looked further into what's installed on sourceware.org,
and I think the mpfr library is already installed and the version
is sufficiently recent to pass the version test. So I think the only
thing we're missing are the includes. Usually, that comes as part
of a "dev" package.

Can we have that installed, please? Hopefully that'll restore the
daily snapshots on sourceware.

Thank you,
--
Joel

* Re: install mpfr-dev package on sourceware
@ 2023-01-07 13:14 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2023-01-07 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> I finally took a look at the config.log, and it's about the mpfr.h
> missing. [...]
> Can we have that installed, please? Hopefully that'll restore the
> daily snapshots on sourceware.

OK, installed.  These snapshots are sources rather than binaries,
which is good because distributed binaries should not be built on
sourceware at all.  OTOH even running configure/make should not
really be necessary: have y'all considered building the tarballs
via "git archive" or such?

- FChE

* Re: install mpfr-dev package on sourceware
@ 2023-01-07 13:45   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2023-01-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I finally took a look at the config.log, and it's about the mpfr.h
> > missing. [...]
> > Can we have that installed, please? Hopefully that'll restore the
> > daily snapshots on sourceware.
>
> OK, installed.

Thank you! That fixed the problem. Let's hope there isn't a next
problem lurking :).

> These snapshots are sources rather than binaries,
> which is good because distributed binaries should not be built on
> sourceware at all.

Agreed.

> OTOH even running configure/make should not
> really be necessary: have y'all considered building the tarballs
> via "git archive" or such?

This is a good question. The current process is really aweful
and prone to breaking (all the time, actually). The problem
is that this process predates me, and I don't have information
on why it is what it is today. One of the reasons might be that
it allows pre-generating some files so users of the snapshot
don't have to.

--

@ 2023-01-07 15:05     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-01-07 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2023-01-07 at 17:45 +0400, Joel Brobecker via Overseers wrote:

> > OTOH even running configure/make should not
> > really be necessary: have y'all considered building the tarballs
> > via "git archive" or such?
>
> This is a good question. The current process is really aweful
> and prone to breaking (all the time, actually). The problem
> is that this process predates me, and I don't have information
> on why it is what it is today. One of the reasons might be that
> it allows pre-generating some files so users of the snapshot
> don't have to.

Yeah, various packages do want to generate some files for their dist
tars. Same for elfutils and binutils. Also some documentation might
need to be (re)generated.

I am working on a sourceware snapshot/docs service using the sourceware
buildbot so you can simply configure a container with the needed
build/dist/doc dependencies. The snapshot process can then run inside
that container (possibly on a separate snapshot build machine).

Currently working on the binutils release script, which should automate
a couple of steps which are now only done by hand at release time. It
should make sure the release process doesn't accidentially break and
you only notice at the time you are preparing an official release.

Cheers,

Mark