From: Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com>
To: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>,
	"Jose E. Marchesi" <jemarch@gnu.org>
Cc: overseers@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:54:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 04/26/2017 04:54 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 04/26/2017 10:49 AM, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
>>
>> Hi.  I hack in binutils, GDB, and other projects hosted in sourceware
>> with my work account jose.marchesi@oracle.com.
>>
>> I can add comments to bugzilla entries, but I can't modify the status
>> (nor other fields) of issues reported by others.
>>
>> Is there a way I could do that?  I need to be able to mark the issues I
>> fix as fixed.
>
> Pedro,
>
> I've already fixed Jose's account, but this information is only on the
> glibc side here:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Bugzilla%20Procedures

Nice page!   I may well steal/adapt it for GDB when I have a chance.

> ~~~
> B0. The bug tracker is Bugzilla on sourceware.org. New users do not have
> the editbugs group access which means that while they can create bugs
> they cannot edit any aspects of the bug once created. This is done to
> avoid spammers modifying existing bugs. If you need the ability to edit
> bugs please request it on libc-alpha@sourceware.org or on IRC freenode
> at #glibc, the bugzilla admins and senior members of the community can
> grant this access once they know you're not a spammer.
> ~~~
>
> Do we need something similar on the gdb wiki?

Yes, I think so.

For now I put it on GDB's version of the contribution checklist:

 https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ContributionChecklist

I wonder whether we have somewhere a central place that includes information
relevant to all products that the single bugzilla instance holds, not just
glibc and gdb.  (binutils, cygwin, elfutils, systemtap, etc.)
Then all the different projects could reference it.  There's the sourceware.org
website of course, though that's not very convenient to edit.  Does sourceware.org
have a "sourceware" wiki?  Or we could create such a page in one of the project's
wikis and bless it as "cross project page".  Anyway, just an idea that crossed my
mind, there's not really that much information that I'm off hand thinking
we'd put there.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves