* procps repository
@ 2003-01-31 23:48 Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-01-31 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Overseer,

I am one of the maintainers of the procps project, which is graciously
hosted at sources.redhat.com.  There are a couple of issues I want to
raise in hopes of a solution.

- First, the spam on the list is awful.  Take a look at the archives for
an example.  It is measured in multiple-messages-per-day and it probably
outranks legit email 10 to 1.  That is an awful signal to noise ratio.
I am on other Red Hat lists (libc-alpha, etc.) and they are not heavily
spammed, so I assume the filter code is in place.  Can a filter be
installed, please?

- Second, the Reply-To header is forced to the list, and not the
recipient.  I think everyone agrees this is evil.

- Third, the CVSWEB repository does not exist.  Would it be possible to
enable CVSWEB for procps?

- Finally, the procps-bugs mailing list can be removed in favor of all
messages going to procps-list.

Note the community appreciates Red Hat's resources for this project.
This is not a bitch - I merely want to point out these issues and see if
anything constructive can be done about them.

Thank you!

	Robert Love

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  0:23 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-02-01  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I know no context here so I'm not going to reply, but a quick look
around shows no mailing lists called "procps-list" or "procps-bugs"
on sourceware.  No mailing list archives of these lists, either.
And ~ftp/pub/procps also doesn't exist.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 06:48:28PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> Overseer,
>
> I am one of the maintainers of the procps project, which is graciously
> hosted at sources.redhat.com.  There are a couple of issues I want to
> raise in hopes of a solution.
>
> - First, the spam on the list is awful.  Take a look at the archives for
> an example.  It is measured in multiple-messages-per-day and it probably
> outranks legit email 10 to 1.  That is an awful signal to noise ratio.
> I am on other Red Hat lists (libc-alpha, etc.) and they are not heavily
> spammed, so I assume the filter code is in place.  Can a filter be
> installed, please?
>
> - Second, the Reply-To header is forced to the list, and not the
> recipient.  I think everyone agrees this is evil.
>
> - Third, the CVSWEB repository does not exist.  Would it be possible to
> enable CVSWEB for procps?
>
> - Finally, the procps-bugs mailing list can be removed in favor of all
> messages going to procps-list.
>
> Note the community appreciates Red Hat's resources for this project.
> This is not a bitch - I merely want to point out these issues and see if
> anything constructive can be done about them.
>
> Thank you!
>
> 	Robert Love

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  1:24 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-01  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 06:48:28PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
>- First, the spam on the list is awful.  Take a look at the archives for
>an example.  It is measured in multiple-messages-per-day and it probably
>outranks legit email 10 to 1.  That is an awful signal to noise ratio.
>I am on other Red Hat lists (libc-alpha, etc.) and they are not heavily
>spammed, so I assume the filter code is in place.  Can a filter be
>installed, please?

>- Second, the Reply-To header is forced to the list, and not the
>recipient.  I think everyone agrees this is evil.

Can't help here, if we don't host the mailing list.

>- Third, the CVSWEB repository does not exist.  Would it be possible to
>enable CVSWEB for procps?

I've added it.

>- Finally, the procps-bugs mailing list can be removed in favor of all
>messages going to procps-list.

Can't help here, either, unfortunately.

The CVS repository is on sources.redhat.com but no one has even checked
in a project web page.  I wonder if it has actually moved elsewhere or
never fully moved to sources.redhat.com.

cgf

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  1:37   ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-02-01  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 20:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:

Hm, looking at the headers, I guess its on listman.redhat.com -
different host?

> >- Third, the CVSWEB repository does not exist.  Would it be possible to
> >enable CVSWEB for procps?
>
> I've added it.

Thank you very much.

> The CVS repository is on sources.redhat.com but no one has even checked
> in a project web page.  I wonder if it has actually moved elsewhere or
> never fully moved to sources.redhat.com.

I checked in an htdocs/ and an index.html and it did not work - I get a
permission denied, which is the same result without checking anything
in.  I have since removed the file.

Thanks and sorry for pinging the wrong person re the list.

Enjoy the weekend,

	Robert Love

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  1:46     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-01  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:37:55PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 20:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>Hm, looking at the headers, I guess its on listman.redhat.com -
>different host?

Yes.

>> The CVS repository is on sources.redhat.com but no one has even checked
>> in a project web page.  I wonder if it has actually moved elsewhere or
>> never fully moved to sources.redhat.com.
>
>I checked in an htdocs/ and an index.html and it did not work - I get a
>permission denied, which is the same result without checking anything
>in.  I have since removed the file.

That's not much to go on.  Are you using the correct ssh key to perform the
checkin?  You are in the procps group so you should be able to check stuff
into the htdocs directory the same way you can check stuff into the procps
source directory.

cgf

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  1:51       ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-02-01  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 20:47, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> That's not much to go on.  Are you using the correct ssh key to perform the
> checkin?  You are in the procps group so you should be able to check stuff
> into the htdocs directory the same way you can check stuff into the procps
> source directory.

I am using my login with my ssh key as I always do.

It lets me check stuff in - I created the directory "htdocs" in the repo
and put a test index.html in there.

I waited a bit... http://sources.redhat.com/procps/ says "permission
denied".  This is the same error one gets without the files checked in
(which is the state now, as I have since removed index.html).

	Robert Love

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  2:02         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-01  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:51:35PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 20:47, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> That's not much to go on.  Are you using the correct ssh key to perform the
>> checkin?  You are in the procps group so you should be able to check stuff
>> into the htdocs directory the same way you can check stuff into the procps
>> source directory.
>
>I am using my login with my ssh key as I always do.
>
>It lets me check stuff in - I created the directory "htdocs" in the repo
>and put a test index.html in there.

There already is a directory called htdocs in the repo, created on
December 8, 2002.  It has nothing in it.

>I waited a bit... http://sources.redhat.com/procps/ says "permission
>denied".  This is the same error one gets without the files checked in
>(which is the state now, as I have since removed index.html).

After a little digging, it seems like you created an htdocs directory
in the procps source directory rather than creating an index.html in
the existing htdocs directory.

cvs -d :ext:sources.redhat.com:/cvs/procps co htdocs

will get you the existing directory.  Changes made there will show up
at <http://sources.redhat.com/procps/>.

I have moved the contents of htdocs from the procps source directory
to the upper level directory if you want to continue to work on it.

cgf

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  2:19           ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-02-01  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 21:02, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> After a little digging, it seems like you created an htdocs directory
> in the procps source directory rather than creating an index.html in
> the existing htdocs directory.

OK, I got it.

Thanks for the help..

	Robert Love

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  2:22             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-01  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:19:09PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 21:02, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>After a little digging, it seems like you created an htdocs directory
>>in the procps source directory rather than creating an index.html in
>>the existing htdocs directory.
>
>OK, I got it.
>
>Thanks for the help..

Anytime.  Thank *you* for your linux kernel work.

Btw, there is no reason why we couldn't host the procps mailing lists
at sources.redhat.com.  I don't know why they are split currently but
I'm also not sure who to contact about this.

cgf

* Re: procps repository
@ 2003-02-01  2:30               ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-02-01  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 21:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Anytime.  Thank *you* for your linux kernel work.

You are welcome.

> Btw, there is no reason why we couldn't host the procps mailing lists
> at sources.redhat.com.  I don't know why they are split currently but
> I'm also not sure who to contact about this.

I would love this, but I have even less of an idea of how to go about it
than you, of course.

The spam is really really bad.  I am sure its a big turnoff for
potential lurkers on the list.  The Reply-To bit is annoying, too.

Please feel free if you can :)

	Robert Love