* Re: So you want a reply-to revolution?
@ 1999-08-05  2:53 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 1999-08-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hey, I was just thinking about this a bit more, and I realized that
RFC2369 headers could rush to our rescue.  These are the List-* headers
I keep harping on.

One of the headers it specifies is the List-Post: address.  It gives
you the address to send a mail note to the list.

If mail user agents support the 2369 headers better, you could then have
"reply", "group reply", and "reply to list" commands.

I like this solution a whole lot more than abusing the Reply-To header,
but it does require assistance by the MUA and it requires that the user
remember which type of reply to use.  Maybe some day.

Jason // Sourceware Czar
         Free the Software!

* So you want a reply-to revolution?
@ 1999-08-05  1:53 Jason Molenda
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Molenda @ 1999-08-05  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I went to the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group last night to hear about
Bitkeeper (a cvs type program being written by Larry McVoy).  After the
talk, Nathan Myers cornered me and got very animated about the mailing
list set-up on sourceware+egcs where no Reply-To: header was set.

To summarize his rant, Nathan thinks that the Reply-To: should be set to
the list address, and if the sender specified their own Reply-To:, the
value of that header should be included in addition to the list addr.

His beef is that if he is Cc:'ed on something, he gets the Cc copy as
well as a copy through the list.  He says that this bothers him enough
(``I get 40-50 mail notes because I sent just one note!'') that he won't
post any more.

Well, you all know how I can get.  My reaction was akin to, "Like I care."

Marc Rovner was there and started harping on how the Reply-To should be
set to the mailing list because people forget to Cc the list on replies
to things, so messages get lost.  He sees mailing lists as a bastardized
version of a newsgroup, and so all posts should go to the group by
default.  If people want to send a direct reply, they can do it by hand.

---

I personally hate lists that set the Reply-To to the list by default.
It annoys me to no end when I jot off a quick note and it goes to the
whole list.  I have two buttons in my mail reader, a "reply" key and a
"group reply" key.  I use them correctly.  As for the duplicate messages
that Nathan despises, my mail reader also features a "delete" key.

I realize my use of these keys may be abnormally sophisticated--I can
understand that some people may not have mastered the subtleties of the
"delete" key--but I prefer to assume that the list participants have a
modicum of intelligence and can use these three features of their mail
user agent correctly. [insert your own Cygwin users joke here]

I do hate getting duplicate mail notes when someone send a message to a
list and to me directly, but I don't see any way the list software can do
much about that (well, without setting a Reply-To anyway).  My MUA could
collapse messages with duplicate message-ids, I suppose, but I've never
heard of any that do that.  Maybe some clever procmail-isms could be used.

---

In any event, I'm in an especially benevolent czar, so I'm willing to
let list admins make up their own mind.  If you want, I can configure
any of your mailing lists so that the Reply-To: always points to the
mailing list.

I can't easily implement the "reply-to set to list addr plus any original
reply-to that the sender specified" behavior.  I could do it by modifying
ezmlm, of course, but I have no interest in implementing this so you can
guess how fast it will get done.  So all you can get is the "Reply-To
set to list addr" setup.

So if you want a Reply-To affixed to the mail notes in your list, just
let me know and I'll make it so.

Jason // Sourceware Czar
         Free the Software!

PS-  The new sourceware box has arrived!  It is sitting down in sysadmin.
Shawn The Great says that he'll try to get the basic OS installed
this week.  We're still a ways off from migrating over, but it's slowly
moving along.