* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: Overseers List

  In message < 873dqw3h5s.fsf@cygnus.com >you write:
  > Today I looked at setting up FAQ-O-Matic for all sourceware projects,
  > and not just gcc.
  >
  > It looks pretty easy to do.
  >
  > I thought before doing it I would run the plan by the Gods of
  > Sourceware, since this is (potentially) my first non-trivial
  > sourceware hack.
  >
  > According to the fom FAQ:
  >
  >   http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/faq.pl?file=409
  >
  > the best way to do this is to make one copy of `fom.cgi' per project.
  > So I propose making one subdir per project in cgi-bin (eg
  > /sourceware/www/cgi-bin/automake, /sourceware/www/cgi-bin/java, etc),
  > and copying fom.cgi there.  (gcc we would leave as-is, of course.)
  >
  > Instead of keeping the fom meta-data in the cgi directory (which seems
  > ugly to me), I'd rather make a new `fom-meta' directory in
  > /sourceware/www, with per-project subdirs there.  (Or I could do
  > something else, in tune with the "sourceware philosophy", whatever
  > that might be.)
  >
  > Projects will use a URL like `/cgi-bin/automake/fom'
It all looks reasonable to me.

You don't necessarily need root access to set this up, but you might if
something goes wrong :-)  Have we set up you up with root access yet?

Similarly for you Jim K?

  > Did we send a postcard to the FOM guy?
Not that I'm aware of.
jeff

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: tromey, overseers

> Similarly for you Jim K?

Yes, I'm set up with root.  I hope someone writes up something about
things like how we create accounts because I would prefer not to have
to guess.

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08       ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

> /sourceware/projects/sourceware-home

Thanks, this is great.  Is one of the entries there "when you give
someone root access, tell them about

From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: tromey, overseers

  In message < 200002152031.PAA02928@devserv.devel.redhat.com >you write:
  > > Similarly for you Jim K?
  >
  > Yes, I'm set up with root.  I hope someone writes up something about
  > things like how we create accounts because I would prefer not to have
  > to guess.
There's no scripts, but there is some docs on adding new users and
new projects and the like in:

@ 2000-12-30  6:08       ` Someone
From: Someone @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Jim Kingdon, law, overseers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 12:34:06PM -0800, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Jim> Yes, I'm set up with root.  I hope someone writes up something
> Jim> about things like how we create accounts because I would prefer
> Jim> not to have to guess.
>
> "Someone" :-)
>
> A script would be even better.
> Plus a script to add/remove a user from a project.

Yah yah, I know.

I'm almost entirely extricated from my gdb work.  I hope to wrap it
up today.  I still have to set up a bug tracking database for gdb[1]
and a snapshot script (which I'll steal most of), and I have to hand-off
some Tier1 thing I've done nothing on to another poor engineer.

[1] GDB is going to use gnats to track patches.  Jim Blandy has some
interesting ideas for states and such.  Other groups may want to copy
this if it looks successful.

I'm shooting for a full week of full-time-sourceware to document things.
Amusingly, I think this will be the first time I've been officially
working full-time on the sourceware site, ever.

Jason

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Overseers List

Jason> Yah, this is the part I was never all that thrilled about.
Jason> It'd be nicer if there were a single fom.cgi and an additional
Jason> parameter was passed to FOM, like "project=automake".  It's not
Jason> a huge deal, but it means that we'll have n copies of fom.cgi
Jason> in cgi-bin, which is unattractive.

I could hack FOM if you'd rather I do that.
That has its own drawbacks, namely maintaining a hacked version.
My reading of the code is that this would be rather easy to do, though.

A third option is to write a patch and send it to the FOM maintainer,
and decide what to do depending on whether he accepts it.

Jason> My first inclination is to put the databases in a new
Jason> directory, like /sourceware/faq-o-matic or putting them in the
Jason> same place where the CVS files for each project are stored
Jason> (/sourceware/projects).

Even better, ok.

Tom

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08     ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Overseers List

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 02:28:19PM -0800, Tom Tromey wrote:

> I could hack FOM if you'd rather I do that.
> That has its own drawbacks, namely maintaining a hacked version.
> My reading of the code is that this would be rather easy to do, though.
>
> A third option is to write a patch and send it to the FOM maintainer,
> and decide what to do depending on whether he accepts it.

I don't like to hack the sources if we can avoid it--just makes things
more difficult for follow-on maintainers.  If all n copies of the fom.cgi
are identical, or nearly so, then we can scriptily autogenerate/autoupdate
all the copies of them and ignore the hackiness of it.

BTW I'll be working all day long on sourceware stuff, so if you want we
can probably throw this all together within the day.

Jason

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08         ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: law, overseers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:56:34AM -0500, Jim Kingdon wrote:
> > /sourceware/projects/sourceware-home
>
> Thanks, this is great.  Is one of the entries there "when you give
> someone root access, tell them about
> /sourceware/projects/sourceware-home"? ;-).

Never!  Hoard the documentation!

Seriously though, those are really rough notes -- I will clean them up
and get them in to the sourceware CVS repo as a part of my departure.

Jason

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Overseers List

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 02:51:27PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Today I looked at setting up FAQ-O-Matic for all sourceware projects,
> and not just gcc.

Thanks.  I'd (obviously) been putting this off.

>   http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/faq.pl?file=409
>
> the best way to do this is to make one copy of `fom.cgi' per project.

Yah, this is the part I was never all that thrilled about.  It'd be nicer
if there were a single fom.cgi and an additional parameter was passed to
FOM, like "project=automake".  It's not a huge deal, but it means that
we'll have n copies of fom.cgi in cgi-bin, which is unattractive.

> So I propose making one subdir per project in cgi-bin (eg
> /sourceware/www/cgi-bin/automake, /sourceware/www/cgi-bin/java, etc),
> and copying fom.cgi there.  (gcc we would leave as-is, of course.)

OK.

> Instead of keeping the fom meta-data in the cgi directory (which seems
> ugly to me), I'd rather make a new `fom-meta' directory in
> /sourceware/www, with per-project subdirs there.  (Or I could do
> something else, in tune with the "sourceware philosophy", whatever
> that might be.)

My first inclination is to put the databases in a new directory, like
/sourceware/faq-o-matic or putting them in the same place where the CVS
files for each project are stored (/sourceware/projects).

Jason

* FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Overseers List

[...]

Actually, I know there is more to do than that (at least set up and/or
tweak the cron job referred to in the instructions), but I don't have
permissions to look in gcc/cgi-bin/fom-meta :-(

From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: tromey, Overseers List

Jeff> You don't necessarily need root access to set this up, but you
Jeff> might if something goes wrong :-) Have we set up you up with
Jeff> root access yet?

Jason set me up.
I'm partway done with the FOM implementation.
Now I just need to find a spare evening to finish it.
This week for sure.

Tom

* Re: FOM for everybody ?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08     ` Tom Tromey