* creating new projects
@ 2000-03-25  7:48 ` Ben Elliston
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-03-25  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: crash

[Resent; I bounced the first one with a typo]

I seem to recall a posting from Jason Molenda a few weeks/months ago
outlining how to easily create new projects, following the standard
format: mailing lists, web pages, a GNATS database, etc.  I can't find
any mention of it on the overseers mailing list archives.

Am I right?  Is there an easy way to form new projects, or do I need
to talk to the sourcemaster? ;-)

Thanks,
Ben

* Re: creating new projects
@ 2000-03-25  8:24   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-03-25  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: overseers, crash

Ben> Am I right?  Is there an easy way to form new projects, or do I need
Ben> to talk to the sourcemaster? ;-)

You need to get someone with permissions to do the work.
There's no way for non-root people to do it.

Tom

* Re: creating new projects
@ 2000-03-25 16:34     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-25 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Ben Elliston, overseers, crash

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 08:24:52AM -0800, Tom Tromey wrote:
>Ben> Am I right?  Is there an easy way to form new projects, or do I
>need Ben> to talk to the sourcemaster?  ;-)
>
>You need to get someone with permissions to do the work.  There's no
>way for non-root people to do it.

I sure wish we could set aside engineering resources to beef up
sourceware so that these kind of things were easily done.

Has anyone (i.e., Jim K) heard any more about sourceware's fate?  I
find the silence a little unnerving.

cgf

* Re: creating new projects
@ 2000-03-25 17:23       ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-03-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: overseers

> Has anyone (i.e., Jim K) heard any more about sourceware's fate?

It's the status quo.  Little/no official status (just like it has been
since it was started).  To a first approximation, that is how We
(there is no we) have wanted it.

* Re: creating new projects
@ 2000-03-25 17:33         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-25 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: overseers

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 08:23:40PM -0500, Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>Has anyone (i.e., Jim K) heard any more about sourceware's fate?
>
>It's the status quo.  Little/no official status (just like it has been
>since it was started).  To a first approximation, that is how We (there
>is no we) have wanted it.

Ok.  I'm probably looking at this the wrong way, anyway.  This is a
"community project", more or less, not just a Red Hat project.  We
should be able get by on open-source-type contributions.

I can't help but wistfully thinking that if we had someone who was
officially able to devote full-time to sourceware for a little while the
effect would be very positive for everyone involved.

I am grateful that we have a high-power system and our own T1 link,
though.  Those are both sizeable investments, especially the T1.

cgf

* Re: creating new projects
@ 2000-03-25 17:45   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-03-25 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bje; +Cc: overseers

> mailing lists, web pages, a GNATS database, etc.

For mailing lists, just ask.  Just be specific about what you need.

GNATS: Have we figured out how this relates to "src"?  Is there going
to be one GNATS with categories for each of the things in src?  Or is
there going to be a bunch of GNATSes?  What we have now is at
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/sourceware/gnats.html and
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/sourceware/procedures/new-gnats.txt
(although I may point the finger at Tom Tromey on GNATS matters :-)).

Web pages: if Jason doesn't get around to it, one of the rest of us
needs to get around to changing infra/bin/auto_checkout to deal with
web pages in src/htdocs/gdb and the like.

etc: What do you need?  Be specific.

Ben, the only thing which is complicating your case is that you want
to use the "src" CVS repository (I'm not trying to discourage that,
mind you, it is just that src is new and various details need to be
figured out).

* Re: creating new projects
@ 2000-03-27 12:14   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-03-27 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: overseers, crash

  In message < 14556.57577.921724.648690@walkabout.cygnus.com >you write:
  > [Resent; I bounced the first one with a typo]
  >
  > I seem to recall a posting from Jason Molenda a few weeks/months ago
  > outlining how to easily create new projects, following the standard
  > format: mailing lists, web pages, a GNATS database, etc.  I can't find
  > any mention of it on the overseers mailing list archives.
  >
  > Am I right?  Is there an easy way to form new projects, or do I need
  > to talk to the sourcemaster? ;-)
I don't remember anything about how to create an entire project, but there
are various tidbits at:

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: overseers, crash

  In message < 14556.57577.921724.648690@walkabout.cygnus.com >you write:
  > [Resent; I bounced the first one with a typo]
  >
  > I seem to recall a posting from Jason Molenda a few weeks/months ago
  > outlining how to easily create new projects, following the standard
  > format: mailing lists, web pages, a GNATS database, etc.  I can't find
  > any mention of it on the overseers mailing list archives.
  >
  > Am I right?  Is there an easy way to form new projects, or do I need
  > to talk to the sourcemaster? ;-)
I don't remember anything about how to create an entire project, but there
are various tidbits at:
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/sourceware/procedures/

* creating new projects
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Ben Elliston
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: crash

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bje; +Cc: overseers

From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: overseers

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 08:23:40PM -0500, Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>Has anyone (i.e., Jim K) heard any more about sourceware's fate?
>
>It's the status quo.  Little/no official status (just like it has been
>since it was started).  To a first approximation, that is how We (there
>is no we) have wanted it.

Ok.  I'm probably looking at this the wrong way, anyway.  This is a
"community project", more or less, not just a Red Hat project.  We
should be able get by on open-source-type contributions.

I can't help but wistfully thinking that if we had someone who was
officially able to devote full-time to sourceware for a little while the
effect would be very positive for everyone involved.

I am grateful that we have a high-power system and our own T1 link,
though.  Those are both sizeable investments, especially the T1.

cgf

* Re: creating new projects
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Tom Tromey