* CVSup update
@ 2000-04-04  0:25 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-04-04  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

FYI,

I've got CVSupD running from my local directory/account (it is
configured to only accept connections from my machine :-).
The next steps I can see are:

	o	an account - anoncvs was agreed

	o	a common config directory (and under CVS).

		see:
			~cagney/cvsup
		for the basic contents.  I've pump primed
		it with a standard configuration for all existing
		cvs repositories. eg:
			~cagney/cvsup/sup/src/src
			~cagney/cvsup/sup/src/releases
		``releases'' lists the sub releases
		for ``src''.  Currently each repository
		has only a full release (``src'' here).

		I think this needs to be setup so that people
		can maintain it using cvs (like CVSROOT)
		with any edited files auto-installed into
		the cvsup config tree.

	o	somewhere to put the log file

	o	something to start cvsupd during boot.

	o	me archive cvsupd in /usr/local/somewhere

One implementation note.  I think I can pervert the cvsupd config so
that it looked for (using SRC as an example):

	/cvs/src/releases

and that could specify something like:

	/cvs/src/cvsup/src

for the release file.  Alternativly they config files just live
somewhere else.

	Andrew

* Re: CVSup update
@ 2000-04-04 14:53   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-04-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> FYI,
>
> I've got CVSupD running from my local directory/account (it is
> configured to only accept connections from my machine :-).

And the stats:

2000.04.04 14:37:30 PDT [22040]: +3 cagney@andrew1.lnk.telstra.net
(b1.cygnus.com) [REL_16_0/16.0]
2000.04.04 14:38:44 PDT [22040]: =3 [193Kin+27Kout] src/src
2000.04.04 14:38:47 PDT [22040]: -3 [193Kin+27Kout] Finished
successfully

on a 28k link.  The limiting factor is my outgoing bandwidth.  I'm
curious for a direct comparison with rsync.

have a good one,
	Andrew

* Re: CVSup update
@ 2000-04-05  8:04   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-04-05  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: overseers

  In message < 38E99874.DA1A8AF3@cygnus.com >you write:
  > FYI,
  >
  > I've got CVSupD running from my local directory/account (it is
  > configured to only accept connections from my machine :-).
Well, I just had to change that :-)  I added my box.

  > The next steps I can see are:
  >

  > 	o	an account - anoncvs was agreed
Yup.

  > 	o	a common config directory (and under CVS).
  >
  > 		see:
  > 			~cagney/cvsup
  > 		for the basic contents.  I've pump primed
  > 		it with a standard configuration for all existing
  > 		cvs repositories. eg:
  > 			~cagney/cvsup/sup/src/src
  > 			~cagney/cvsup/sup/src/releases
  > 		``releases'' lists the sub releases
  > 		for ``src''.  Currently each repository
  > 		has only a full release (``src'' here).
  >
  > 		I think this needs to be setup so that people
  > 		can maintain it using cvs (like CVSROOT)
  > 		with any edited files auto-installed into
  > 		the cvsup config tree.
Sounds like the right way to go.  Or if we find that they're all basically
the same and static, then having them set up as SOP for new projects might
be just as effective with less work.

  > 	o	somewhere to put the log file
How about /var/log/cvsupd.log?

  > 	o	something to start cvsupd during boot.
If we're happy with letting a few folks loose with this, then let's do
it.  How do you want the service started (ie, options and the like).

  > 	o	me archive cvsupd in /usr/local/somewhere
Yup.

  > One implementation note.  I think I can pervert the cvsupd config so
  > that it looked for (using SRC as an example):
We can tackle this separately from the basic service if you'd like.

jeff

* Re: CVSup update
@ 2000-04-05 17:03     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-04-05 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < 38E99874.DA1A8AF3@cygnus.com >you write:
>   > FYI,
>   >
>   > I've got CVSupD running from my local directory/account (it is
>   > configured to only accept connections from my machine :-).
> Well, I just had to change that :-)  I added my box.

FYI, my file contains:

src strictrcs release=src base=/home/scratch/sourceware.cygnus.com
host=sourceware.cygnus.com compress

s/src/gcc/g

one of the 15.x->16.x changes was making multiplexing across a single
channel (-P m) the default.

>   >     o       a common config directory (and under CVS).
>   >
>   >             see:
>   >                     ~cagney/cvsup
>   >             for the basic contents.  I've pump primed
>   >             it with a standard configuration for all existing
>   >             cvs repositories. eg:
>   >                     ~cagney/cvsup/sup/src/src
>   >                     ~cagney/cvsup/sup/src/releases
>   >             ``releases'' lists the sub releases
>   >             for ``src''.  Currently each repository
>   >             has only a full release (``src'' here).
>   >
>   >             I think this needs to be setup so that people
>   >             can maintain it using cvs (like CVSROOT)
>   >             with any edited files auto-installed into
>   >             the cvsup config tree.
> Sounds like the right way to go.  Or if we find that they're all basically
> the same and static, then having them set up as SOP for new projects might
> be just as effective with less work.

The current framework was created using the script:

	~cagney/cvsup/gen-sup

so starting out with just each repository is very easy.  New
repositories can be added witout restarting the daemon.

As src grows, I do expect people to ask for things like src/gdb
src/cygwin et.al.  Now if there was a CVSROOT/modules -> cvsup converter
that could also be automated.  I guess the first person to ask for
``src/gdb'' gets to find/write it :-)

>   >     o       somewhere to put the log file
> How about /var/log/cvsupd.log?

Not my problem :-)
It can also be configured to use the message facility (although I've
never tried that).

>   >     o       something to start cvsupd during boot.
> If we're happy with letting a few folks loose with this, then let's do
> it.  How do you want the service started (ie, options and the like).

It was started with:

[cagney@sourceware cvsup]$ cat ~cagney/bin/start-cvsupd
#!/bin/sh -x
/usr/local/sbin/cvsupd -C 1 -b /home/cagney/cvsup -l
/home/cagney/log/cvsup

The ``-C 1'' (max nr simultaneous users) should probably be increased.

>   >     o       me archive cvsupd in /usr/local/somewhere

Done.  `man cvsupd` now works.

> Yup.
>
>   > One implementation note.  I think I can pervert the cvsupd config so
>   > that it looked for (using SRC as an example):
> We can tackle this separately from the basic service if you'd like.

Ok.  Thanks.

	Andrew

* CVSup update
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Andrew Cagney