* cvsupd install
@ 2000-04-30 18:20 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-04-30 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

(Perhaphs I should set up a cron job to send this e-mail out after every
reboot :-)
Could someone please do the following:

Install the cvsup config:

$  ( cd ~cagney && tar cf - cvsup ) | ( cd /sourceware && tar xf - )

(yes this puts it on ``/'' if there is a better directory, please
suggest :-)

Install/edit/test (as root...):

	~cagney/bin/cvsupd.rc

(in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cvsupd.rc ?).  The suggestion in the file is to
send all log output to @local3 which is currently just rsyncd.  Probably
want to edit /etc/syslog.conf to hint that this is happening.
Alternativly a separate loging channel could be allocated.

Tweek /sourceware/cvsup/cvsupd.access to contain just:

	+0.0.0.0/0

which, I think, gives everyone access.

Tweek the ``how to create a project'' notes to mention that:

	/sourceware/cvsup/gen-sup

should be run.

	enjoy,
		Andrew

* Re: cvsupd install
@ 2000-05-01 11:44   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-05-01 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: overseers

  In message < 390CDB74.5197199F@cygnus.com >you write:
  > (Perhaphs I should set up a cron job to send this e-mail out after every
  > reboot :-)
  > Could someone please do the following:
  >

  > Install the cvsup config:
  >
  > $  ( cd ~cagney && tar cf - cvsup ) | ( cd /sourceware && tar xf - )
  >
  > (yes this puts it on ``/'' if there is a better directory, please
  > suggest :-)
Done.  It's as good as any.

  > Install/edit/test (as root...):
  >
  > 	~cagney/bin/cvsupd.rc
  >
  > (in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cvsupd.rc ?).  The suggestion in the file is to
  > send all log output to @local3 which is currently just rsyncd.  Probably
  > want to edit /etc/syslog.conf to hint that this is happening.
  > Alternativly a separate loging channel could be allocated.
I've started it out of rc.local just for simplicity's sake.  I'm not all
that familiar with the startup/shutdown facilities found in modern systems :-)

I haven't tested it though...

  > Tweek /sourceware/cvsup/cvsupd.access to contain just:
  >
  > 	+0.0.0.0/0
  >
  > which, I think, gives everyone access.
Actually, I don't think we want to do this.  The idea was to allow CVSup
for folks providing anoncvs mirrors, not for everyone.

  > Tweek the ``how to create a project'' notes to mention that:
Done.
jeff

* Re: cvsupd install
@ 2000-05-01 16:12     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-05-01 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> Done.  It's as good as any.

Thanks.

>   > Install/edit/test (as root...):
>   >
>   >     ~cagney/bin/cvsupd.rc
>   >
>   > (in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cvsupd.rc ?).  The suggestion in the file is to
>   > send all log output to @local3 which is currently just rsyncd.  Probably
>   > want to edit /etc/syslog.conf to hint that this is happening.
>   > Alternativly a separate loging channel could be allocated.
> I've started it out of rc.local just for simplicity's sake.  I'm not all
> that familiar with the startup/shutdown facilities found in modern systems :-)

This _is_ a modern system. Real systems still have /etc/rc.local :-)

> I haven't tested it though...

It should work.  It will just run as root :-)

>   > Tweek /sourceware/cvsup/cvsupd.access to contain just:
>   >
>   >     +0.0.0.0/0
>   >
>   > which, I think, gives everyone access.
> Actually, I don't think we want to do this.  The idea was to allow CVSup
> for folks providing anoncvs mirrors, not for everyone.

What category does a large site like hp fall into?

	Andew

* Re: cvsupd install
@ 2000-05-01 21:21       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-05-01 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: overseers

  In message < 390E0F24.C873085B@cygnus.com >you write:
  > Jeffrey A Law wrote:
  > >
  > > I haven't tested it though...
  >
  > It should work.  It will just run as root :-)
I'd prefer to run it as anoncvs if at all possible.  Presumably it'll still
work if I do that, right?

  > >   > which, I think, gives everyone access.
  > > Actually, I don't think we want to do this.  The idea was to allow CVSup
  > > for folks providing anoncvs mirrors, not for everyone.
  >
  > What category does a large site like hp fall into?
Or large sites/regular contributors.

jeff

* Re: cvsupd install
@ 2000-05-01 21:49         ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-05-01 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < 390E0F24.C873085B@cygnus.com >you write:
>   > Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   > >
>   > > I haven't tested it though...
>   >
>   > It should work.  It will just run as root :-)
> I'd prefer to run it as anoncvs if at all possible.  Presumably it'll still
> work if I do that, right?

It would have trouble writing to the log file.  Rather than making the
log file writeable by anoncvs (-> security hole) I'd suggest tweeking:

	/etc/rc.d/rc.local:
		log="@local3"
		su="su anoncvs"

	/etc/syslog.conf:
		Mention that cvsupd output goes to local3.* as
		well as rsync output.

If you look at the tail of /var/log/rsync-msg you'll see that cvsupd is
happily loging to there already...
The alternative is to configure things for @local4 and send that to a
new log file.

>   > >   > which, I think, gives everyone access.
>   > > Actually, I don't think we want to do this.  The idea was to allow CVSup
>   > > for folks providing anoncvs mirrors, not for everyone.
>   >
>   > What category does a large site like hp fall into?
> Or large sites/regular contributors.

How about:

	$ cat /sourceware/cvsup/cvsupd.access
	+139.130.51.121
	+208.224.120.149
	-0.0.0.0/0 5

which, I think, caps it at 5 general users.  Unconditional shadow sites
can then be added on a case by case basis.  I really should see about
some more specific modules such as gdb and insight.

	Andrew

* Re: cvsupd install
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: overseers

  In message < 390CDB74.5197199F@cygnus.com >you write:
  > (Perhaphs I should set up a cron job to send this e-mail out after every
  > reboot :-)
  > Could someone please do the following:
  >

  > Install the cvsup config:
  >
  > $  ( cd ~cagney && tar cf - cvsup ) | ( cd /sourceware && tar xf - )
  >
  > (yes this puts it on ``/'' if there is a better directory, please
  > suggest :-)
Done.  It's as good as any.

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)