* Re: [macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl: Re: [postmaster@sourceware] failure notice (fwd)]
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 01:56:44PM -0700, Jason Molenda wrote:

> If you want to add a header to all outgoing mail notes on a mailing list
> (say 'cygwin'), you'd first edit /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/headerremove
> to strip out any existing Resent-To that might be present (or you could end
> up with two of them) and you'll add the hardcoded header that you want to
> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/headeradd.

Oh wait, I misunderstood what this Resent-To discussion was about
- the person wants to be able to bounce messages to a list without
putting the list name in the To/Cc header.

Whatever.

That script I wrote which replaces ezmlm-reject's functionality
but supports multiple allowable list names (e.g. 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org',
'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com') could probably be adapted to support this
without too much effort.

Is this a common occurance?  Someone has lots of mail notes that
they want to bounce through the cygwin list without fixing the To/Cc?

Jason  (who is commenting entirely out of context, as usual)

* [macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl: Re: [postmaster@sourceware] failure notice (fwd)]
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Chris Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

header through to the mailing list?

This person was very annoyed and inconvenienced.  It is part of the RFC for specifying
a destination email address.

cgf

----- Forwarded message from "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> -----

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:

> > Well, it's already stated in qmail's response so you wrote nothing new.
> >The question is whether it is really desirable.  I found this annoying.
>
> Can you point me to an RFC that details the use of "Resent-To:"?  If
> this is a standard header that has known properties then we may consider
> using it.

 RFC-822, paragraph C.3.3 and RFC-2076, paragraph 3.14.

> Otherwise, the fact that it shows up in a header does not mean much.

 MTAs should not filter messages based on their contents.  Anyway, it's
your site and your policy.  I won't argue with you as it's none of my
business.  I'm just pointing out this annoyance.

----- End forwarded message -----