* [Fwd: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup  problem for binutils list]]
@ 2000-07-27 23:37 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-07-27 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sources for Courses

To : Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
Subject : Re: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup  problem for binutils list]
From : Ben Elliston <bje at redhat dot com>
Date : Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:30:12 +1000 (EST)
cc : overseers at sources dot redhat dot com, Jim Kingdon <kingdon at panix dot com>,       overseers at sourceware dot cygnus dot com

   There is a rumor kicking around that ORBS black listed ``Telstra''.
   Telstra directly or indirectly controls about half of Australia's IP
   address space.  Think about this - half of the Australian Internet
   can't send e-mail ....

It's true.  The ORBS losers are unhappy with the amount of spam coming out
of Telstra customer addresses, so they've just blanked listed the whole lot
of them.  Andrew--please forward this message onto overseers for me, as I'm
blocked, too.

Please--can we drop ORBS from sources.redhat.com?  I don't think we should
be agreeing with their strategies any longer.

Ben

* Re: [Fwd: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup  problem for binutils list]]
@ 2000-07-28  0:00   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-07-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Sources for Courses

Ben> It's true.  The ORBS losers are unhappy with the amount of spam
Ben> coming out of Telstra customer addresses, so they've just blanked
Ben> listed the whole lot of them.  Andrew--please forward this
Ben> message onto overseers for me, as I'm blocked, too.

Maybe we should disable the ORBS static blacklist.

Tom

* Re: [Fwd: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup problem for binutils list]]
@ 2000-07-28  8:30     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-07-28  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, Sources for Courses

  In message < 200007280700.AAA29247@ferrule.cygnus.com >you write:
  > Ben> It's true.  The ORBS losers are unhappy with the amount of spam
  > Ben> coming out of Telstra customer addresses, so they've just blanked
  > Ben> listed the whole lot of them.  Andrew--please forward this
  > Ben> message onto overseers for me, as I'm blocked, too.
  >
  > Maybe we should disable the ORBS static blacklist.
That might be a reasonable compromise, though the whole ORBS vs the aussies
mess is starting to rub me the wrong way.

While I think that the aussies were doing something extremely bad, ORBS's
reaction to it was, err, extreme and the net result is basically an
internet pissing match.

jeff

* Re: [Fwd: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup  problem for binutils list]]
@ 2000-07-28  9:41     ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-07-28  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: ac131313, overseers

> Maybe we should disable the ORBS static blacklist.

As far as I know that would largely solve the problem with non-spam
being blocked, without causing much more spam to get through.

Telstra does indeed have a bad reputation among anti-spammers so I'm
not going to go as far as "oh, poor innocent company is getting
blocked" but my view is that policy on sources.redhat.com should be
driven by a calculation of how much spam and non-spam is being
blocked, more so than who we like or whatever.

* [Fwd: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup  problem for binutils list]]
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sources for Courses

To : Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
From : Ben Elliston <bje at redhat dot com>
Date : Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:30:12 +1000 (EST)

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, Sources for Courses

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: ac131313, overseers

> Maybe we should disable the ORBS static blacklist.

As far as I know that would largely solve the problem with non-spam
being blocked, without causing much more spam to get through.

Telstra does indeed have a bad reputation among anti-spammers so I'm
not going to go as far as "oh, poor innocent company is getting
blocked" but my view is that policy on sources.redhat.com should be
driven by a calculation of how much spam and non-spam is being
blocked, more so than who we like or whatever.

* Re: [Fwd: [alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au: [postmaster@sourceware] qmailsetup  problem for binutils list]]
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Tom Tromey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)