From: Jason Molenda <jason@molenda.com>
To: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
Cc: overseers@sources.redhat.com, "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@cygnus.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 06:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

cgf> If I'm reading Jason's shell scripts correctly this should all
cgf> happen automatically at the beginning of each month.  I'm assuming
cgf> that it had to be jump started at this point.

Yeah, new entries are added at date boundries - you have to seed
the first month's index.html with the current date entry.

I used to do this by copying a similar mail archive's web page,
removing the directory entries that don't exist on the new list,
and fixing up the few list-specific strings in this page.

law> I've never seen it work correctly.  Usually I poke around and it starts
law> working for reasons I never understand.

Unfortunately my imagination is limited, so I can't quite guess
what might 'never work correctly'. :)  Yes, you do need to add the
first date entry by hand.  It should not present any particular
hardship - you have to add the whole index.html by hand anyway,
but after that everything happens automatically.

And really, even if you don't add an index.html, the web archiving
all takes place - mhonarc doesn't care about the index.html file,
it creates directories and stores messages in there all on its own.

The problem with the ftp mail archives is that there is no
mail-archives directory in there.

Jason

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID