From: Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com>
To: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
Cc: overseers@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: emails in HTML must be purged.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 05:49:23PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> > [...]
> > Could we set up an automatic mail bounce for each
> > of the lists that would reject mail in HTML format?
> > [...]
>
> Not that this is likely to change your mind, but keep in
> mind that HTML is a perfectly legitimate way to pass text
> around; no worse than text/enriched, or Acrobat.  Modern
> news/mail readers can render the goods inline.  This popular
> hatred of HTML content seems rather luddite or at least
> anachronistic.

No, you are mistaken. HTML is fine for the web, is it not
ok for email. This is like claiming that a word document
is a perfectly legitimate way to pass text around.
An even better way to pass text around is using text!

This is both a policy problem and a user problem.
Once we have defined the policy (No HTML in emails to
the lists), we get the side benefit of not having to
argue with users that do not know or simply do not
have the ability to reconfigure the email client
they use.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc