* emails in HTML must be purged.
@ 2000-08-23 17:49 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-08-23 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

We were just talking about the problem of lamo Windows
users posting to sources.redhat.com lists in HTML
when the perfect solution hit us.

Could we set up an automatic mail bounce for each
of the lists that would reject mail in HTML format?

What would be really great, as it would save us much
time composing "Please do not post in HTML" messages.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: emails in HTML must be purged.
@ 2000-08-23 17:54   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-08-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 05:49:23PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>We were just talking about the problem of lamo Windows users posting to
>sources.redhat.com lists in HTML when the perfect solution hit us.
>
>Could we set up an automatic mail bounce for each of the lists that
>would reject mail in HTML format?
>
>What would be really great, as it would save us much time composing
>"Please do not post in HTML" messages.

I've already done this for cygwin for both HTML and RTF email.  I don't
know if a remote administrator can do this or not, though.

Maybe there is a global setting that will disallow this.

cgf

* Re: emails in HTML must be purged.
@ 2000-08-23 18:03     ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-08-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Mo DeJong

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 08:53:17PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:

> I've already done this for cygwin for both HTML and RTF email.  I don't
> know if a remote administrator can do this or not, though.

I don't think so.  Someone has to edit that ezmlm file (DIR/mimeremove
or something like that) directly.

> Maybe there is a global setting that will disallow this.

I suppose all of the DIR/mimeremove files could be soft-linked to
a single one, but that would force all lists to agree on a list of
MIME types to refuse.

Maybe change the list-creation procedure to copy in a default
mimeremove file that blocks the commonly-known-to-be-lame MIME
types, and list owners could optionally ask that those types be
re-enabled after the list is created.

* Re: emails in HTML must be purged.
@ 2000-08-23 19:05   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2000-08-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 05:49:23PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> [...]
> Could we set up an automatic mail bounce for each
> of the lists that would reject mail in HTML format?
> [...]

Not that this is likely to change your mind, but keep in
mind that HTML is a perfectly legitimate way to pass text
around; no worse than text/enriched, or Acrobat.  Modern
news/mail readers can render the goods inline.  This popular
hatred of HTML content seems rather luddite or at least
anachronistic.

- FChE
--

* Re: emails in HTML must be purged.
@ 2000-08-23 19:55     ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-08-23 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 05:49:23PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> > [...]
> > Could we set up an automatic mail bounce for each
> > of the lists that would reject mail in HTML format?
> > [...]
>
> Not that this is likely to change your mind, but keep in
> mind that HTML is a perfectly legitimate way to pass text
> around; no worse than text/enriched, or Acrobat.  Modern
> news/mail readers can render the goods inline.  This popular
> hatred of HTML content seems rather luddite or at least
> anachronistic.

No, you are mistaken. HTML is fine for the web, is it not
ok for email. This is like claiming that a word document
is a perfectly legitimate way to pass text around.
An even better way to pass text around is using text!

This is both a policy problem and a user problem.
Once we have defined the policy (No HTML in emails to
the lists), we get the side benefit of not having to
argue with users that do not know or simply do not
have the ability to reconfigure the email client
they use.

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Mo DeJong

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 05:49:23PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>We were just talking about the problem of lamo Windows users posting to
>sources.redhat.com lists in HTML when the perfect solution hit us.
>
>Could we set up an automatic mail bounce for each of the lists that
>would reject mail in HTML format?
>
>What would be really great, as it would save us much time composing
>"Please do not post in HTML" messages.

I've already done this for cygwin for both HTML and RTF email.  I don't
know if a remote administrator can do this or not, though.

Maybe there is a global setting that will disallow this.

cgf

* emails in HTML must be purged.
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Mo DeJong
                   ` (2 more replies)