* Rejecting HTML email!
@ 2000-09-06 16:02 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-09-06 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Is it possible to set up an automated email bounce
when people send HTML formatted message to the
sourcenav mailing list? We waste a lot of time
with "don't post in HTML" type of messages.
I asked about this a couple of weeks ago but
I did not hear anything back.

thanks
Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Rejecting HTML email!
@ 2000-09-06 17:38   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-06 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:02:19PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>Is it possible to set up an automated email bounce when people send
>HTML formatted message to the sourcenav mailing list?  We waste a lot
>of time with "don't post in HTML" type of messages.  I asked about this
>a couple of weeks ago but I did not hear anything back.

I wouldn't say that you didn't hear "anything".  Your request generated
three responses.  Mine was one of them.

I have just modified things so that the following mime types are bounced:

application/ms-tnef
text/html
application/x-rtf2

These are what I've accumlated over the last couple of months for the cygwin
mailing list.  I'm sure there will be more.

cgf

* Re: Rejecting HTML email!
@ 2000-09-06 17:43     ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-09-06 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:02:19PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> >Is it possible to set up an automated email bounce when people send
> >HTML formatted message to the sourcenav mailing list?  We waste a lot
> >of time with "don't post in HTML" type of messages.  I asked about this
> >a couple of weeks ago but I did not hear anything back.
>
> I wouldn't say that you didn't hear "anything".  Your request generated
> three responses.  Mine was one of them.

Ahh yes, the correct thing to say would have been "I did not hear
that there was a resolution to the problem". Now it seems
that the problem has been resolved, so I am happy.

> I have just modified things so that the following mime types are bounced:
>
> application/ms-tnef
> text/html
> application/x-rtf2
>
> These are what I've accumlated over the last couple of months for the cygwin
> mailing list.  I'm sure there will be more.

What is the text of the bounced message? Does it explain what they
are doing wrong?

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Rejecting HTML email!
@ 2000-09-06 18:34       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-06 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 05:43:14PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>What is the text of the bounced message? Does it explain what they
>are doing wrong?

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.

<test-list@sources.redhat.com>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, a message part has an unacceptable MIME Content-Type: text/html (#5.2.3)

cgf

* Re: Rejecting HTML email!
@ 2000-09-25  9:34         ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-09-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

    >> What is the text of the bounced message? Does it explain what
    >> they are doing wrong?

    Chris> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at
    Chris> sourceware.cygnus.com.  I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver
    Chris> your message to the following addresses.  This is a
    Chris> permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

    Chris> <test-list@sources.redhat.com>: ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry,
    Chris> a message part has an unacceptable MIME Content-Type:
    Chris> text/html (#5.2.3)

[sorry for coming in late]

This is a rather unimpressive response.

I have seen list servers bounce HTML in a much more polite way,
suggesting that people turn off the HTML option in their mailer.

* Rejecting HTML email!
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers