* Controlling cvs commit access
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

We have a large engineering organization at Yahoo with a wider
variety of cvs uses than I'd seen before.  I needed some fine-grained
way of controlling access to parts of the repository, so I wrote
a nice little access control list script.  It lets you express
things like

  User FOO may only check in changes in directory BAR

  Only users FOO, BAR, and BAZ may check in changes in directory BOO

  User MOO may not check in any changes to BOO

And all the other variants I could think of as being useful.  There
is a simpler access control script included in the cvs contrib dir
(cvs_acls.pl), but it sacrifices the expressiveness that my script
has for much greater simplicity of implementation.

I don't know if this thing would be useful to anyone outside Yahoo,
but if, for instance, there was ever a hope of merging
gcc/gdb/binutils/newlib/etc and people were concerned about
controlling commit policy, it would be easy to do with this.

Lemme know if y'all want to use it; I'll do a little cleanup and
send it along.  It's being used at yahoo by a large developer base,
I'm confident that it's been well debugged by now.

The only useful thing I couldn't implement (Angela would have wanted
this) is the ability to control cvs commit access on branches.
CVS doesn't give you any way of doing this, except maybe as an
after-the-fact thing via loginfo.

Jason