* libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-01 11:49 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-01-01 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

This problem has been reported before, a month ago

The libstdc++ mailing list is supposed to be a gcc.gnu.org mailing list.
While the list archives now correctly reflect this, subscription messages
still contain references to the wrong hostnames.

	Subject: confirm subscribe to libstdc++@sources.redhat.com

	libstdc++@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-01 12:03   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-01 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 07:49:42PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>This problem has been reported before, a month ago
>
>The libstdc++ mailing list is supposed to be a gcc.gnu.org mailing list.
>While the list archives now correctly reflect this, subscription messages
>still contain references to the wrong hostnames.
>
>	Subject: confirm subscribe to libstdc++@sources.redhat.com
>
>	Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
>	libstdc++@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.

I've changed all occurrences of 'sourceware.cygnus.com' to 'gcc.gnu.org'
in the text that it sent by ezmlm but the subscription message still
refers to sources.redhat.com:

    libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.

    To confirm that you would like

       cgf@redhat.com

    added to the libstdc++ mailing list, please send
    an empty reply to this address:

       libstdc++-sc.978379137.dgbglojhcobfaklbhcnb-cgf=redhat.com@sources.redhat.com

I assume that all gcc.gnu.org lists are similar, though.

I think that changing this would require some changes to qmail and/or
ezmlm itself so this won't happen anytime soon.

cgf

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-01 12:16   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-01-01 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> The libstdc++ mailing list is supposed to be a gcc.gnu.org mailing list.
> While the list archives now correctly reflect this, subscription messages
> still contain references to the wrong hostnames.

Just to becompletely sure: When it comes to Web and FTP, all
sources->gcc issues have been fixed now? :-)

Gerald

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 11:04     ` Joseph S. Myers
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-01-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I assume that all gcc.gnu.org lists are similar, though.

No, the messages produced by gcc-subscribe (for example) use gcc.gnu.org
throughout.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 11:07       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-03 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 07:04:07PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I assume that all gcc.gnu.org lists are similar, though.
>
>No, the messages produced by gcc-subscribe (for example) use
>gcc.gnu.org throughout.

Ok.  It looks like the list really needs to be physically moved from
sourceware to the gcc ezmlm hierarchy, then.

I would prefer that someone who was directly connected with the gcc
project do that...

cgf

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 11:09     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-01-03 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Just to becompletely sure: When it comes to Web and FTP, all
> sources->gcc issues have been fixed now? :-)

libstdc++/download.html still refers to the sources.redhat.com mirror
list.  To fix this, the libstdc++ files need to move physically under
/pub/gcc (either with a symlink libstdc++ -> gcc/libstdc++, or merging
with GCC's old-releases and mail-archives).

Perhaps, with libstdc++-v3 in GCC 3.0, there will be no point in having a
separate FTP site or separately installable libstdc++ tarballs, and the
route of moving all tarballs into /pub/gcc/old-releases can be followed?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 11:18       ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2001-01-03 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

> libstdc++/download.html still refers to the sources.redhat.com mirror
> list.  To fix this, the libstdc++ files need to move physically under
> /pub/gcc (either with a symlink libstdc++ -> gcc/libstdc++, or merging
> with GCC's old-releases and mail-archives).

this stuff is still on sourceware because....

...because that's where I have access to put stuff up for ftp. People seem
to be confused about this: it seems likely that a libstdc++ directory on the
main gcc server is the clearest solution for end-users.

what I need are the contents of the pub/libstdc++ directory moved
from sourceware over to the gcc ftp servers.

> Perhaps, with libstdc++-v3 in GCC 3.0, there will be no point in having a
> separate FTP site or separately installable libstdc++ tarballs, and the
> route of moving all tarballs into /pub/gcc/old-releases can be followed?

No. There will still be numbered releases for libstdc++, and I belive,
libjava.

We still need these directories, sorry if there was confusion.

benjamin

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 11:20       ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-01-03 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, bkoz

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 07:09:07PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > Just to becompletely sure: When it comes to Web and FTP, all
> > sources->gcc issues have been fixed now? :-)
>
> libstdc++/download.html still refers to the sources.redhat.com mirror
> list.  To fix this, the libstdc++ files need to move physically under
> /pub/gcc (either with a symlink libstdc++ -> gcc/libstdc++, or merging
> with GCC's old-releases and mail-archives).
>
> Perhaps, with libstdc++-v3 in GCC 3.0, there will be no point in having a
> separate FTP site or separately installable libstdc++ tarballs, and the
> route of moving all tarballs into /pub/gcc/old-releases can be followed?

I believe we would still like to create stable, tested, working library
snapshots.  I can't speak to the issue of which FTP site we'd be using,
but there will still be library tarballs for a while.  After 3.0 is actually
released, we'll probably still be adding improvements and extensions.

Phil

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 12:21         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-01-03 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

 In message < Pine.SOL.3.91.1010103111516.17185A-100000@cse.cygnus.com >you writ
e:
  > ...because that's where I have access to put stuff up for ftp. People seem
  > to be confused about this: it seems likely that a libstdc++ directory on th
  > e  main gcc server is the clearest solution for end-users.
Actually you have permissions to get to both FTP areas :-)

  > what I need are the contents of the pub/libstdc++ directory moved
  > from sourceware over to the gcc ftp servers.
That's easy enough :-)

mv ~ftp/pub/libstdc++ ~ftp/pub/gcc/

Or something similar depending on exactly where in the GCC ftp tree you
want the libstdc++-v3 bits to appear.

jeff

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 12:24       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-01-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Christopher Faylor, overseers

  In message < Pine.SOL.4.21.0101031903090.10101-100000@green.csi.cam.ac.uk >you
write:
  > On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
  >
  > > I assume that all gcc.gnu.org lists are similar, though.
  >
  > No, the messages produced by gcc-subscribe (for example) use gcc.gnu.org
  > throughout.
There's a magic bit that allows a list to be virtually hosted on either
sources.redhat.com or gcc.gnu.org.

What we need to do is find that magic config stuff and twiddle it
appropriately.
I believe we just need to twiddle <listname>/config and replace
sourceware.cygnus.com with gcc.gnu.org

jeff

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 12:26       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-01-03 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Christopher Faylor, overseers

  In message < Pine.SOL.4.21.0101031903090.10101-100000@green.csi.cam.ac.uk >you
write:
  > On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
  >
  > > I assume that all gcc.gnu.org lists are similar, though.
  >
  > No, the messages produced by gcc-subscribe (for example) use gcc.gnu.org
  > throughout.
Can someone try the libstdc++ lists now?  I think I've made the magic tweak
to make them believe they're hosted by gcc.gnu.org.

jeff

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 12:34         ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-01-03 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: Christopher Faylor, overseers

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> Can someone try the libstdc++ lists now?  I think I've made the magic tweak
> to make them believe they're hosted by gcc.gnu.org.

A subscription attempt still yields a message with subject "confirm

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 12:37           ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2001-01-03 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

>   > ...because that's where I have access to put stuff up for ftp. People seem
>   > to be confused about this: it seems likely that a libstdc++ directory on th
>   > e  main gcc server is the clearest solution for end-users.
> Actually you have permissions to get to both FTP areas :-)

Doh! Whoops.

>   > what I need are the contents of the pub/libstdc++ directory moved
>   > from sourceware over to the gcc ftp servers.
> That's easy enough :-)
>
> mv ~ftp/pub/libstdc++ ~ftp/pub/gcc/
>
> Or something similar depending on exactly where in the GCC ftp tree you
> want the libstdc++-v3 bits to appear.

Here's a sample mirror:

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/gcc/
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/libstdc++/

I'm assuming that what we want as the final form is something like

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/gcc/libstdc++/
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/gcc/libjava/

etc.

I think this will work. As long as nobody objects, I'll do this today.

I just looked around, and it looks like the gnu
mirrors were hand-mirroring libstdc++-v3, plus sourceware mirrors. Oh
well. Hopefully this will consolidate some of the duplicates.

-benjamin

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 12:56           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-03 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, overseers

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 08:34:07PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>> Can someone try the libstdc++ lists now?  I think I've made the magic tweak
>> to make them believe they're hosted by gcc.gnu.org.
>
>A subscription attempt still yields a message with subject "confirm
>subscribe to libstdc++@sources.redhat.com".

Ok.  I made a few more changes and it seems to correctly indicate
"gcc.gnu.org" now when I subscribe.

Can you verify this?

cgf

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 13:04             ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-01-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, overseers

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Ok.  I made a few more changes and it seems to correctly indicate
> "gcc.gnu.org" now when I subscribe.
>
> Can you verify this?

libstdc++ seems OK, similar changes seem to be needed for the
libstdc++-cvs list as well.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 13:35             ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-01-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, Joseph S. Myers, Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 12:36:59PM -0800, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/gcc/libstdc++/
> ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/gcc/libjava/
>
> etc.
>
> I think this will work. As long as nobody objects, I'll do this today.

That'd hose the mailing list archiving if your lists are still
being put in ~ftp/pub/libstdc++/mail-archives.  The archivers assume
that all lists are in ~ftp/pub/PROJECTNAME/mail-archives.  The
~listarch/.qmail-libstdc++* files would need to be tweaked to make
them similar to a gcc list and the existing -q1 archives in
~ftp/pub/libstdc+ would need to be moved into ~ftp/pub/gcc.

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 14:06               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-03 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, overseers

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:03:57PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Ok.  I made a few more changes and it seems to correctly indicate
>>"gcc.gnu.org" now when I subscribe.
>>
>>Can you verify this?
>
>libstdc++ seems OK, similar changes seem to be needed for the
>libstdc++-cvs list as well.

Ok.  I've done this.  I didn't realize it was quite this simple or I
would have done it before.

I changed everything that I could find with the name 'libstdc++' in
it.

cgf

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 20:57         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-01-03 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, overseers

  In message < 20010103140748.B14748@redhat.com >you write:
  > On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 07:04:07PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
  > >On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
  > >> I assume that all gcc.gnu.org lists are similar, though.
  > >
  > >No, the messages produced by gcc-subscribe (for example) use
  > >gcc.gnu.org throughout.
  >
  > Ok.  It looks like the list really needs to be physically moved from
  > sourceware to the gcc ezmlm hierarchy, then.
BTW, the physical location is pretty easy to change.  The easiest
way to do it without interrupting service is to mv the directory into
the new location and leave a symlink temporarily in place.

Then you go to /qmail/alias and update it's links to point to the new
location.

Then you go back and zap the old directory symlink.

This avoids most problems with interruption of service.

I'll try to take care physically moving the libstdc++ shortly.

jeff

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-01-03 21:34         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-01-03 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, overseers

 In message < 20010103140748.B14748@redhat.com >you write:
  > Ok.  It looks like the list really needs to be physically moved from
  > sourceware to the gcc ezmlm hierarchy, then.
  >
  > I would prefer that someone who was directly connected with the gcc
  > project do that...
I took care of physically moving the lists tonight.  Hopefully everything
is still working :-) :-)

jeff

* Re: libstdc++ list still thinks it's at sources.redhat.com
@ 2001-12-31 19:40     ` Christopher Faylor