* mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13  7:11 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-02-13  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

FYI things I've been posting to news.cygnus.com aren't making it to
the sources mailing lists.  I created a ticket with the Red Hat
helpdesk, but I recall that the script runs on sources.  It stopped
working around the beginning of the month.  Could someone check on it?

Thanks!
DJ

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13  9:03   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-02-13  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: overseers

In message < 200102131510.KAA12086@greed.delorie.com >you write:

  > FYI things I've been posting to news.cygnus.com aren't making it to
  > the sources mailing lists.  I created a ticket with the Red Hat
  > helpdesk, but I recall that the script runs on sources.  It stopped
  > working around the beginning of the month.  Could someone check on it?
What script?  How is it run?  Is it just a subscriber to the lists?  Or
is it run via some other mechanism?

I'm willing to look at it if I know what to look for....
jeff

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13  9:23     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-02-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

Look for a cronjob that runs "something/gateway -n" at regular
intervals.  The *other* way (mail->news) works, and it uses "gateway
-m" as a subcriber to the lists.

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13 13:33       ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-02-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: law, overseers

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 12:22:46PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Look for a cronjob that runs "something/gateway -n" at regular
> intervals.  The *other* way (mail->news) works, and it uses "gateway
> -m" as a subcriber to the lists.

It's all in /sourceware/news-gateway.  IIRC there is a log file kept in
there.

(For those who don't know, the news<->mail gatewaying is done by a
script that DJ wrote and I probably broke back in my old not-perl-knowing
days :-)

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13 15:25       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-02-13 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: overseers

  In message < 200102131722.MAA15040@greed.delorie.com >you write:

  > Look for a cronjob that runs "something/gateway -n" at regular
  > intervals.  The *other* way (mail->news) works, and it uses "gateway
  > -m" as a subcriber to the lists.
OK.  Found it.

Looking at the log file, it appears to still be working.  So I probably
need more details about postings that never got gatewayed.

I see posts for the gcc-patches, gdb-patches, gnu-win32 within the
last hour or so.

jeff

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13 15:39         ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-02-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

> I see posts for the gcc-patches, gdb-patches, gnu-win32 within the
> last hour or so.

For example, cygnus.egcs.patches post 29438 never showed up in the
mail archives at gcc.gnu.org (nor have any other of my posts since
January, except the ones I remembered to email instead of posting):

From: DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Unreviewed patch
Newsgroups: cygnus.egcs.patches
Date: 12 Feb 2001 14:08:44 -0500

Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 07:07:56PM +0000, lauras@softhome.net wrote:
> > Automatically adding .exe simply breaks things like autoconf.
>
> Why?

Because not all unix programs know about systems without extensions.
Long ago we decided that the safest way to deal with them was for gcc
to produce both foo and foo.exe (via one of djgpp's post-linker
programs), so that no matter what the programs expected, it was there.
If you only produce foo.exe, programs that haven't been ported to
expect extensions will break.

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-14 10:45   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-02-14 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: overseers

DJ> FYI things I've been posting to news.cygnus.com aren't making it
DJ> to the sources mailing lists.  I created a ticket with the Red Hat
DJ> helpdesk, but I recall that the script runs on sources.  It
DJ> stopped working around the beginning of the month.  Could someone
DJ> check on it?

If anybody wants to volunteer to set up a news server and gatewaying
on sources, now would be a good time...

Tom

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-14 10:54     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-02-14 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: overseers

> If anybody wants to volunteer to set up a news server and gatewaying
> on sources, now would be a good time...

The gateway part is trivial.  I can certainly help any such
volunteers, but I suspect that a paragraph of notes on how the current
gateway's configuration file works would be enough.  The existing
gateway can manage multiple news feeds, multiple mailing lists, and
any permutation of messages between any one or more news server and
any one or more mailing list.  You just have to add more lines to the
single config file.

The only thing it really can't do is bounce a message from one mailing
list to a news server and then to a different mailing list, or from
news to mail to different news.  I'd probably have to make the
seen-again check more discerning, or we could install a second gateway
script with a different tag header.

However, given the amount of spam on usenet these days, do we really
want the lists hooked to usenet?

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-14 11:17       ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-02-14 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: tromey, overseers

Hi -

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 01:53:58PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
:
: > If anybody wants to volunteer to set up a news server and gatewaying
: > on sources, now would be a good time...
:
: [...]
: However, given the amount of spam on usenet these days, do we really
: want the lists hooked to usenet?

The sourceware news server wouldn't need to tie in to other news servers
in usenet, so spam from usenet proper wouldn't be a problem.  If new
articles incoming across nn{r,t}p are too hard to spam-filter, it may
be okay to make news read-only.

- FChE
--

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-14 11:25         ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-02-14 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: DJ Delorie, tromey, overseers

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 02:17:00PM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> The sourceware news server wouldn't need to tie in to other news servers
> in usenet, so spam from usenet proper wouldn't be a problem.  If new
> articles incoming across nn{r,t}p are too hard to spam-filter, it may
> be okay to make news read-only.

I'd agree - I think a sourceware.* hierarchy which was publically
accessible from sourceware would nicely complement the web archives
of all the lists.  Web archives are nice, but netnews is a better
compromise between being subscribed to a list and browsing big old
web pages.

Whether the netnews is read-only or read-write is a smaller matter.

In the past, there was a sysadmin at Cygnus who didn't want people
to read the mailing lists via NNTP/NNRP, so this wasn't something
I could ever set up.  That sysadmin has since left, so there's no
impediment if someone wanted to set it up.

Jason

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-12-31 19:40     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: tromey, overseers

Hi -

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 01:53:58PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
:
: > If anybody wants to volunteer to set up a news server and gatewaying
: > on sources, now would be a good time...
:
: [...]
: However, given the amount of spam on usenet these days, do we really
: want the lists hooked to usenet?

The sourceware news server wouldn't need to tie in to other news servers
in usenet, so spam from usenet proper wouldn't be a problem.  If new
articles incoming across nn{r,t}p are too hard to spam-filter, it may
be okay to make news read-only.

- FChE
--

* mail gateway
@ 2001-12-31 19:40 DJ Delorie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

@ 2001-12-31 19:40       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: overseers

From: DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
Newsgroups: cygnus.egcs.patches
Date: 12 Feb 2001 14:08:44 -0500

@ 2001-12-31 19:40 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: overseers

@ 2001-12-31 19:40       ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: DJ Delorie, tromey, overseers

From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: overseers

@ 2001-12-31 19:40 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: overseers

From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: law, overseers

From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: overseers

From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-12-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:59:26AM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> What script?  How is it run?  Is it just a subscriber to the lists?  Or
> is it run via some other mechanism?

The mail -> news side is handled by the standard .qmail files in
~listarch; in addition to the www-archives.sh and ftp-archives.sh,
the gateway script is called for certain lists.

The news -> mail side (as DJ already said) is done by a crontab
which checks the news server for new messages periodically.  Any
new notes are checked to see if they are mail->news-gatewayed articles,
and if not (i.e. if someone posted a new article), it forwards the
note to the mailing list.

There is a config file in the /sourceware/news-gateway directory
that specifies the newsgroup-mailing list mappings.

* Re: mail gateway
@ 2001-02-13 14:28 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-02-13 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers