* mhonarc barfage, web archiving of all mailing lists is now disabled
@ 2001-10-03  9:24 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-10-03  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Something bad has happened with mhonarc over the last twelve hours
and I've had to turn off archiving.

I don't know if it's a bug with mhonarc, a bug with the new locking
system I enabled, or a system problem that caused one of these two
to fail.  But the web archives for at least gcc-patches and cygwin
are corrupted so that running mhonarc on those lists will cause
them to run without end.

I won't have time to look at this until late this evening.  Chris
is going to look into it a bit this afternoon.  We're tracking all
the mail notes that are not being archived so that we can update
the archives later on.  It will be a delicate operation to do it
correctly.

This is a major problem, and I expect it to take some time to clean
up completely (and I don't have any free time on weekdays :( ).  Your
patience will be appreciated.

Jason

* Re: mhonarc barfage, web archiving of all mailing lists is now disabled
@ 2001-10-03 11:49 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-10-03 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:36:39PM -0800, Jason Molenda wrote:
> Something bad has happened with mhonarc over the last twelve hours
> and I've had to turn off archiving.
>
> I don't know if it's a bug with mhonarc, a bug with the new locking
> system I enabled, or a system problem that caused one of these two
> to fail.  But the web archives for at least gcc-patches and cygwin
> are corrupted so that running mhonarc on those lists will cause
> them to run without end.

Small correction, I don't think it was the new locking system I
was using.  mhonarc was still making its own locks unnecessarily,
which would prevent two mhonarcs running at the same time.  (running
two of them at the same time would cause the sort of confused list
archives we were seeing today).