* What happened to my account?
@ 2002-11-01 22:20 Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2002-11-01 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hey, did someone accidentally nuke my account?  I wasn't aware of a
policy to disable accounts without letting the owner know.  Especially
when that owner is doing backups.  O:-)

--Angela

* Re: What happened to my account?
@ 2002-11-04 20:59 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-11-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: overseers

In message <20021102062019.4CBA61D3D@dragaera.ReleaseDominatrix.com>, Angela Ma
rie Thomas writes:
 >Hey, did someone accidentally nuke my account?  I wasn't aware of a
 >policy to disable accounts without letting the owner know.  Especially
 >when that owner is doing backups.  O:-)
No clue.  There's certainly no policy that I'm aware of which would
cause your account to be zapped.

I'm on the road at the moment, but if this hasn't been sorted out
by the time I return (Thursday), then I'll dive in and see what's
going on.

Jeff

* Re: What happened to my account?
@ 2002-11-04 21:26   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2002-11-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: angela, overseers

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 06:49:54PM -0700, Jeff Law wrote:

> No clue.  There's certainly no policy that I'm aware of which would
> cause your account to be zapped.

I don't think it was anything especially zealous.  I vague remember
something coming up a few weeks back where cgf and I were looking
at the root auth_keys file and trying to guess who might have
changed something.  We noticed Angela in there - I thought it was
an oversight, and my guess is Chris removed that and disabled the
account while he was at it.  It's not a personal slight; it just
looked like an unused account with root access, which isn't the
best thing to keep around in general. :-)

Neither of us remembered the backups at all, which is a decent reason
to enable access to the system.  Chris would have to decide if he wants
to enable root access to take advantage of the backup service you're
providing or not -- maybe he'd prefer to have HR IS do something, I
don't know.

* Re: What happened to my account?
@ 2002-11-04 21:48     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-11-04 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: law, angela, overseers

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:26:13PM -0800, Jason Molenda wrote:
>Chris would have to decide if he wants to enable root access to take
>advantage of the backup service you're providing or not -- maybe he'd
>prefer to have HR IS do something, I don't know.

I responded to Angela privately shortly after she sent the email.

I probably turned off her account but I honestly don't remember doing so.
It's back on now.  AFAIK, Angela's root access was unencumbered.

cgf

* Re: What happened to my account?
@ 2002-11-05 15:22       ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2002-11-05 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:26:13PM -0800, Jason Molenda wrote:
> >Chris would have to decide if he wants to enable root access to take
> >advantage of the backup service you're providing or not -- maybe he'd
> >prefer to have HR IS do something, I don't know.
>
> I responded to Angela privately shortly after she sent the email.
>
> I probably turned off her account but I honestly don't remember doing so.
> It's back on now.  AFAIK, Angela's root access was unencumbered.

Yes, root was not affected which is why I didn't notice right away.  I'm
to keep my backups running until the new system is deployed and the new
backups for it are working.  After that, if you want to remove my account
and root access, that's up to you.

--Angela