* Any progress on the full disks?
@ 2003-01-12 16:37 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-01-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

It's now over 72 hours without mailing list archives for gcc.  Is there
an ETA for when they'll start archiving again, or should we settle in
for the long haul?

--Nathanael

* Re: Any progress on the full disks?
@ 2003-01-12 20:49 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-01-12 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: overseers

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 11:37:37AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> It's now over 72 hours without mailing list archives for gcc.  Is there
> an ETA for when they'll start archiving again, or should we settle in
> for the long haul?

Yeah, I'm on it.

The overseers list has web archives, BTW.

* Re: Any progress on the full disks?
@ 2003-01-12 21:03   ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2003-01-12 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: neroden, overseers

>The overseers list has web archives, BTW.

Note that the overseers web archive is not linked from either of:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml

But it can be found here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/overseers/current

-benjamin

* Re: Any progress on the full disks?
@ 2003-01-12 21:18     ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-01-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: neroden, overseers

Yeah, that's intentional.  I wanted users/developers to first turn
to their project maintainers, and when the project maintainers
thought the issue should go to overseers it'd be sent there.  I'm
not especially interested in seeing e-mails from people who've
downloaded gcc and want to learn C, and how should they go about
it, and how they didn't get a reply from the gcc list and they'd
like to lodge a formal complaint.

Actually, I'd originally thought that RH would allocate staffing
resources to the box and most of the day-to-day stuff could just
go to that person or persons, with overseers reserved for maintainers
conversation about how the systme is ste up.  But it's ended up
being a volunteer effort and overseers is the best contact addr
for many of the site problems that come up.

As it stands, overseers is a very poorly kept secret, and I don't
have any problem with that; it was never obscured to increase its
cabal-like qualities - it was obscured to keep out the hoi polloi.  :-)

@ 2003-01-13  1:20       ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-01-13  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Benjamin Kosnik, neroden, overseers

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:17:59PM -0800, Jason Molenda wrote:
> Yeah, that's intentional.  I wanted users/developers to first turn
> to their project maintainers, and when the project maintainers
> thought the issue should go to overseers it'd be sent there.  I'm
> not especially interested in seeing e-mails from people who've
> downloaded gcc and want to learn C, and how should they go about
> it, and how they didn't get a reply from the gcc list and they'd
> like to lodge a formal complaint.

IMHO, keeping the "unsubscribe me!!!" requests out of overseers is alone
worth the effort.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002