* Kudos on the system swap
@ 2003-01-19  9:42 Jason Molenda
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-01-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Chris, great job on the system switch - everything seems to be
working perfectly!  Thanks for all your time, and please pass on
the word to the RH IS folks as well.

Man, this new system is speedy.  We went from what, two 450MHz P-IIs
to two 1GHz P-IIIs, and from 768MB of memory to 2GB of memory.  I
can't wait to see how it handles the Monday morning cvs loads - I
bet it'll do far better than the old box.

Thanks for the great switchover!

Jason

* Re: Kudos on the system swap
@ 2003-01-19 16:59 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2003-01-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Jason Molenda wrote:
> Chris, great job on the system switch - everything seems to be
> working perfectly!  Thanks for all your time, and please pass on
> the word to the RH IS folks as well.

Let me join in on the praising.  That was one smooth
switch-over!

brgds, H-P
PS.  I'm reindexing the gcc htdig, but that was kind of expected.

* Re: Kudos on the system swap
@ 2003-01-19 20:23 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-19 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: overseers

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 01:42:26AM -0800, Jason Molenda wrote:
>Chris, great job on the system switch - everything seems to be working
>perfectly! Thanks for all your time, and please pass on the word to the
>RH IS folks as well.

Will do.  I had a really great guy (Matt Galgoci) helping with this.  He
uncovered a couple of minor glitches in the change which would have
puzzled me later on.

>Man, this new system is speedy.  We went from what, two 450MHz P-IIs to
>two 1GHz P-IIIs, and from 768MB of memory to 2GB of memory.  I can't
>wait to see how it handles the Monday morning cvs loads - I bet it'll
>do far better than the old box.
>
>Thanks for the great switchover!

You're welcome.  However, it looks like there may have been some corruption
in the move.  After some discussion with Alex Oliva, I think this may
have been the last revenge of the disk errors which plagued the old system.
I've found some files which have a string of null bytes in them.  Oddly,
my home directory was by far the worst hit so far.  Maybe the old sourceware
was taking its final revenge or something.

I'm assessing the damage now.

cgf

* Re: Kudos on the system swap
@ 2003-01-20  3:58   ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2003-01-20  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Jason Molenda, overseers

> You're welcome.  However, it looks like there may have been some corruption
> in the move.  After some discussion with Alex Oliva, I think this may
> have been the last revenge of the disk errors which plagued the old system.
> I've found some files which have a string of null bytes in them.  Oddly,
> my home directory was by far the worst hit so far.  Maybe the old sourceware
> was taking its final revenge or something.
>
> I'm assessing the damage now.

Do you want/need any of the data I have?  I can easily set you up with
an account here at home or give you whatever other info you need.

--Angela

* Re: Kudos on the system swap
@ 2003-01-20  4:14     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-20  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: Jason Molenda, overseers

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 07:54:00PM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:

>> You're welcome.  However, it looks like there may have been some corruption
>> in the move.  After some discussion with Alex Oliva, I think this may
>> have been the last revenge of the disk errors which plagued the old system.
>> I've found some files which have a string of null bytes in them.  Oddly,
>> my home directory was by far the worst hit so far.  Maybe the old sourceware
>> was taking its final revenge or something.
>>
>> I'm assessing the damage now.
>
>Do you want/need any of the data I have?  I can easily set you up with
>an account here at home or give you whatever other info you need.

Thanks but the original sourceware is still available and I can check things
there.  AFAICT, the damage was minimal, knock on wood.

Of course, I may be panicked again tomorrow.

cgf

* Re: Kudos on the system swap
@ 2003-01-21 16:10 ` law
From: law @ 2003-01-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Chris Faylor, overseers

In message <20030119014226.A52911@molenda.com>, Jason Molenda writes:
 >Chris, great job on the system switch - everything seems to be
 >working perfectly!  Thanks for all your time, and please pass on
 >the word to the RH IS folks as well.
 >
 >Man, this new system is speedy.  We went from what, two 450MHz P-IIs
 >to two 1GHz P-IIIs, and from 768MB of memory to 2GB of memory.  I
 >can't wait to see how it handles the Monday morning cvs loads - I
 >bet it'll do far better than the old box.
 >
 >Thanks for the great switchover!
I just want to echo the appreciation -- I know this was a lot of work,
and I don't think the conversion could have gone much smoother.  Do we
have wrinkles to iron out?  Yes, but that's expected.

Thanks again Chris!

Jeff