* SSH CVS problem
@ 2003-01-24  4:39 David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2003-01-24  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

	Sometime between 9:49pm EST and 11:30pm EST on Thursday, SSH
started refusing connections from me:

Updating CVS tree
ssh: connect to address 66.187.233.205 port 22: Connection refused
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
Adjusting file timestamps
CVS update of full tree failed.

	Did someone change an IP address filter?

Thanks, David

* Re: SSH CVS problem
@ 2003-01-24  5:02 ` law
From: law @ 2003-01-24  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: overseers

In message <200301240439.XAA23822@makai.watson.ibm.com>, David Edelsohn writes:
 >	Sometime between 9:49pm EST and 11:30pm EST on Thursday, SSH
 >started refusing connections from me:
 >
 >Updating CVS tree
 >ssh: connect to address 66.187.233.205 port 22: Connection refused
 >cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
 >Adjusting file timestamps
 >CVS update of full tree failed.
 >

 >	Did someone change an IP address filter?
More likely this means the SSH server has died or something like
that -- I can't connect to the SSH server either.

jeff

* Re: SSH CVS problem
@ 2003-01-24 14:51   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-01-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, geoffk; +Cc: David Edelsohn, overseers

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:06:57PM -0700, law@redhat.com wrote:
> In message <200301240439.XAA23822@makai.watson.ibm.com>, David Edelsohn writes:
>  >	Sometime between 9:49pm EST and 11:30pm EST on Thursday, SSH
>  >started refusing connections from me:
>  >
>  >Updating CVS tree
>  >ssh: connect to address 66.187.233.205 port 22: Connection refused
>  >cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
>  >Adjusting file timestamps
>  >CVS update of full tree failed.
>  >
>  >
>  >	Did someone change an IP address filter?
> More likely this means the SSH server has died or something like
> that -- I can't connect to the SSH server either.

So who's in the Raleigh office that can walk over to the box and frob it?

On a longer-term note, wasn't sshd running under one of those "supervisory"
programs that would notice such a crash and restart it?  Even just running
it out of inittab might work.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: SSH CVS problem
@ 2003-01-24 15:11     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-24 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: law, geoffk, David Edelsohn, overseers

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:51:06AM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:06:57PM -0700, law@redhat.com wrote:
>> In message <200301240439.XAA23822@makai.watson.ibm.com>, David Edelsohn writes:
>>  >	Sometime between 9:49pm EST and 11:30pm EST on Thursday, SSH
>>  >started refusing connections from me:
>>  >
>>  >Updating CVS tree
>>  >ssh: connect to address 66.187.233.205 port 22: Connection refused
>>  >cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
>>  >Adjusting file timestamps
>>  >CVS update of full tree failed.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >	Did someone change an IP address filter?
>> More likely this means the SSH server has died or something like
>> that -- I can't connect to the SSH server either.
>
>So who's in the Raleigh office that can walk over to the box and frob it?
>
>On a longer-term note, wasn't sshd running under one of those "supervisory"
>programs that would notice such a crash and restart it?  Even just running
>it out of inittab might work.

sshd has been restarted.  Don't know why it crashed.  I'm investigating.

cgf