* htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 10:42 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-07-01 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Hans-Peter Nilsson

A script of mine sent an automatic response to a CVS commit by
htdigid@gcc.gnu.org, which then lead to the following bounce:

  <sourcemaster@cygnus.com>:
  65.240.187.162 does not like recipient.
  Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 <sourcemaster@cygnus.com>... No such user here
  Giving up on 65.240.187.162.

Interestingly, that IP addresses resolves to

  % host -a 65.240.187.162
  Name: host162.cygnusentertainment.com
  Address: 65.240.187.162

which apparently is due to cygnus.com no longer belonging to Red Hat.

As a short-time fix, I removed sourcemaster@cygnus.com from
~htdigid/.qmail, but you (CGF, H-P) may want to replace it with
something else?

Gerald

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 14:33 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-01 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Hans-Peter Nilsson

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:42:15PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>A script of mine sent an automatic response to a CVS commit by
>htdigid@gcc.gnu.org, which then lead to the following bounce:
>
>  <sourcemaster@cygnus.com>:
>  65.240.187.162 does not like recipient.
>  Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 <sourcemaster@cygnus.com>... No such user here
>  Giving up on 65.240.187.162.
>
>Interestingly, that IP addresses resolves to
>
>  % host -a 65.240.187.162
>  Name: host162.cygnusentertainment.com
>  Address: 65.240.187.162
>
>which apparently is due to cygnus.com no longer belonging to Red Hat.

Yeah, sad isn't it?  It was never announced here, either.  I just noticed
when someone sent me a bounce for cgf@cygnus.com.  Sigh.

>As a short-time fix, I removed sourcemaster@cygnus.com from
>~htdigid/.qmail, but you (CGF, H-P) may want to replace it with
>something else?

I added sourcemaster@sourceware.org to the .qmail file.

cgf

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 14:44   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-07-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> which apparently is due to cygnus.com no longer belonging to Red Hat.
> Yeah, sad isn't it?  It was never announced here, either.  I just noticed
> when someone sent me a bounce for cgf@cygnus.com.  Sigh.

Actually, you are lucky that the new owner didn't set up cgf@cygnus.com
(yet).

And consider all those addresses from GCC, binutils,... ChangeLogs and
mailing list archives and private address books!

Sigh, indeed.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 16:10     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-01 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 04:44:20PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> which apparently is due to cygnus.com no longer belonging to Red Hat.
>> Yeah, sad isn't it?  It was never announced here, either.  I just noticed
>> when someone sent me a bounce for cgf@cygnus.com.  Sigh.
>
>Actually, you are lucky that the new owner didn't set up cgf@cygnus.com
>(yet).
>
>And consider all those addresses from GCC, binutils,... ChangeLogs and
>mailing list archives and private address books!

Ugh.

So, with just my luck some clueless mean SOB will get the cgf address
and...  Oh, wait.  Probably no one would notice the difference.  :-)

cgf

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 17:48 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2003-07-01 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> A script of mine sent an automatic response to a CVS commit by
> htdigid@gcc.gnu.org, which then lead to the following bounce:

Could you please turn off those messages for changes made by
htdigid@gcc.gnu.org?  The're automatic and follows a certain
pattern so if there was no problem with this commit, there will
not be any in the future either unless there system catches a
cold or something.  (And the honorable reverend doctor cgf is
there, making sure that won't happen. :-)

> As a short-time fix, I removed sourcemaster@cygnus.com from
> ~htdigid/.qmail, but you (CGF, H-P) may want to replace it with
> something else?

Thanks for fixing this, gerald and cgf.

brgds, H-P

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 17:59   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:48:26PM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>
>> A script of mine sent an automatic response to a CVS commit by
>> htdigid@gcc.gnu.org, which then lead to the following bounce:
>
>Could you please turn off those messages for changes made by
>htdigid@gcc.gnu.org?

Hmm.  Where are the messages going again?  I just looked for the
string htdigid in the gcc-cvs archives and didn't see it.

cgf

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 18:46     ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2003-07-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Hmm.  Where are the messages going again?  I just looked for the
> string htdigid in the gcc-cvs archives and didn't see it.

gcc-cvs-wwwdocs

brgds, H-P

* Re: htdigid@gcc.gnu.org causes bounce from sourcemaster@cygnus.com
@ 2003-07-01 20:38   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-07-01 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: overseers

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>> A script of mine sent an automatic response to a CVS commit by
>> htdigid@gcc.gnu.org, which then lead to the following bounce:
> Could you please turn off those messages for changes made by
> htdigid@gcc.gnu.org?

I just did that; should you receive one next month nevertheless, I'll have
to tweak my procmail rules.

CGF, there is nothing to do for you (i.e., no problem on gcc.gnu.org);
H-P was refering to a script of mine that runs on my university account
and regression checks commits to the GCC web pages.

Gerald
--

@ 2003-07-01 20:52     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson, overseers

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:38:28PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>>> A script of mine sent an automatic response to a CVS commit by
>>> htdigid@gcc.gnu.org, which then lead to the following bounce:
>> Could you please turn off those messages for changes made by
>> htdigid@gcc.gnu.org?
>
>I just did that; should you receive one next month nevertheless, I'll have
>to tweak my procmail rules.
>
>CGF, there is nothing to do for you (i.e., no problem on gcc.gnu.org);
>H-P was refering to a script of mine that runs on my university account
>and regression checks commits to the GCC web pages.

Ok.  I thought H-P was asking that commit messages from htdig not
generate any cvs log traffic but, actually, your way makes more sense.

Thanks.

cgf