From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
To: overseers@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Confidentiality notices
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:04:22AM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>I've noticed several e-mails recently with confidentiality notices
>which we are violating when we archive the message on the web site.
>
>Any thoughts on whether we should check for these notices on incoming
>mail, and bounce them back to the sender?

I've suggested that in the past.  This is one of the reasons that I
modified the sources.redhat.com mailing list web page to mention the
fact that the lists are archived.  I don't know of gcc.gnu.org has any
wording to this effect, though.

With recent changes to the spam checking software, I can do filtering on
email.  For instance, on the cygwin mailing list, I added the capability
to subscribe to a cygwin-replyto mailing list.  Once you are a member of
that list, all email to the cygwin list has a reply-to added
automatically.  I also add a "X-IsSubscribed: yes" header when senders
are subscribed to the list so that you can make a decision on whether to
cc or not.

I was contemplating honoring some kind of tag in the body like:
END-OF-MESSAGE so that people could avoid sending the confidentiality
stuff.  That would put the onus on the sender to make the decision about
what shows up in email and in the archives.  Once we do that, I could
easily start bouncing messages which contain confidentiality trailers.
FWIW, I really hate them.

cgf