* Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-01-28 22:20 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2004-01-28 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Volker Reichelt

A couple of days Volker noticed the following:

  The end of the MAINTAINERS file bugs me for quite some time now.
  The last entries read:

    Peter Bienstman(?)
    Benjamin Chelf(?)
    Mark Galassi(?)

  It seems like GCC does not know who the maintainers are and that looks
  unprofessional to me. :-(

These entries were since removed from the GCC MAINTAINERS file, and I
think we should also remove those accounts on gcc.gnu.org: chelf, pbienst,
und rosalia.

(In fact, we also should consider a regular check and lock/remove accounts
that have not been used for, say 18 months.  I know that other projects
with a longer history of "public" CVS repositories have been doing that.)

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-01-28 22:50 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-28 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Volker Reichelt

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:20:07PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>A couple of days Volker noticed the following:
>
>  The end of the MAINTAINERS file bugs me for quite some time now.
>  The last entries read:
>
>    Peter Bienstman(?)
>    Benjamin Chelf(?)
>    Mark Galassi(?)
>
>  It seems like GCC does not know who the maintainers are and that looks
>  unprofessional to me. :-(
>
>These entries were since removed from the GCC MAINTAINERS file, and I
>think we should also remove those accounts on gcc.gnu.org: chelf, pbienst,
>und rosalia.

The last I knew, Mark Galassi was still around, although, when I check
his forwarding file, I see that it is forwarded to rosalia@redhat.com
so that's obviously wrong.

Jason Molenda (or maybe Ian?), I'm drawing a blank on the project that
Mark was/is(?) associated with on sourceware.  I wanted to check the
mailing list to see if he was active but I can't remember which it was.

>(In fact, we also should consider a regular check and lock/remove accounts
>that have not been used for, say 18 months.  I know that other projects
>with a longer history of "public" CVS repositories have been doing that.)

I agree except I don't know exactly how to check.  Do you mean just send
a "are you still there?" to the account?

FWIW, I do remove people that I personally know about but that obviously
isn't a scalable way of handling this.

cgf

* Re: Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-01-28 22:55   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2004-01-28 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, Volker Reichelt

Chris> The last I knew, Mark Galassi was still around, although, when I check
Chris> his forwarding file, I see that it is forwarded to rosalia@redhat.com
Chris> so that's obviously wrong.

Chris> Jason Molenda (or maybe Ian?), I'm drawing a blank on the project that
Chris> Mark was/is(?) associated with on sourceware.

He worked on GSL and also (I think) the docbook stuff.

I believe you can reach him as `rosalia at galassi dot org'.

Tom

* Re: Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-01-28 22:57     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-28 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, Volker Reichelt

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:46:23PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

>Chris> The last I knew, Mark Galassi was still around, although, when I check
>Chris> his forwarding file, I see that it is forwarded to rosalia@redhat.com
>Chris> so that's obviously wrong.
>
>Chris> Jason Molenda (or maybe Ian?), I'm drawing a blank on the project that
>Chris> Mark was/is(?) associated with on sourceware.
>
>He worked on GSL and also (I think) the docbook stuff.
>
>I believe you can reach him as `rosalia at galassi dot org'.

Ahhhh... Thank you for relieving my memory backup.

cgf

* Re: Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-01-29 18:19   ` law
From: law @ 2004-01-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, Volker Reichelt

In message <20040128225045.GA32133@redhat.com>, Christopher Faylor writes:
 >The last I knew, Mark Galassi was still around, although, when I check
 >his forwarding file, I see that it is forwarded to rosalia@redhat.com
 >so that's obviously wrong.
 >
 >Jason Molenda (or maybe Ian?), I'm drawing a blank on the project that
 >Mark was/is(?) associated with on sourceware.  I wanted to check the
 >mailing list to see if he was active but I can't remember which it was.
I'm pretty sure his most recent activity was on docbook, which is hosted
on sources.redhat.com.

Probably the thing to do is to remove him from the GCC MAINTAINERS file
and verify that he's not in the gcc group.

jeff

* Re: Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-01-31  0:36     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, Volker Reichelt

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:19:50AM -0700, law@redhat.com wrote:
>Probably the thing to do is to remove him from the GCC MAINTAINERS file
>and verify that he's not in the gcc group.

I've removed him from the gcc group.

cgf

* Re: Removing accounts for GCC non-maintainers
@ 2004-02-07 11:20     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2004-02-07 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Volker Reichelt

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> These entries were since removed from the GCC MAINTAINERS file, and I
>> think we should also remove those accounts on gcc.gnu.org: chelf,
>> pbienst, und rosalia.
> The last I knew, Mark Galassi was still around

I noticed that you removed group gcc from rosalia; would you mind also
removing the other two accounts (chelf, pbienst)?

>> (In fact, we also should consider a regular check and lock/remove accounts
>> that have not been used for, say 18 months.  I know that other projects
>> with a longer history of "public" CVS repositories have been doing that.)
> I agree except I don't know exactly how to check.  Do you mean just send
> a "are you still there?" to the account?

I had something like that in mind.

 - After 18 months of inactivity (= no CVS commit), send a "Are you
   still there message".

 - Depending on the response, remove the account or the gcc group from
   an account that is still used for another project.

If we agree on that, I can try to cook up some scripts to obtain all those
with group gcc (either primary or secondary) that have not committed for X
months.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 law@redhat.com wrote:
> Probably the thing to do is to remove him from the GCC MAINTAINERS file
> and verify that he's not in the gcc group.

Volker and cgf did that now.

@ 2004-02-07 16:23       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-02-07 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Volker Reichelt

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:20:13PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> These entries were since removed from the GCC MAINTAINERS file, and I
>>> think we should also remove those accounts on gcc.gnu.org: chelf,
>>> pbienst, und rosalia.
>> The last I knew, Mark Galassi was still around
>
>I noticed that you removed group gcc from rosalia; would you mind also
>removing the other two accounts (chelf, pbienst)?

I just did what I usually do with inactive accounts.  I put an "OFF" in
front of their passwd entry and invalidated their ssh keys.  That way
it's relatively easy to reinstate them if needed.

>If we agree on that, I can try to cook up some scripts to obtain all those
>with group gcc (either primary or secondary) that have not committed for X
>months.

I think it's a good idea for security concerns, if for no other reason.

I also just did a sweep through /home/* looking for other occurrences of
missing .qmail files.  I found a few apparently inactive accounts there,
too.

cgf