From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
To: overseers@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: removing someone from the global deny list
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:45:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:42:38AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:59:11PM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>>One of Geoff's colleagues, zlaski@apple.com, somehow ended up on the
>>global deny list.  Can someone please remove him and, if possible,
>>tell me how he got on it so he doesn't end up on it again?  I'm not
>>wise in the ways of qmail/ezmlm so I'm not really sure what he did
>>to get on the deny list.
>>
>>His bounce message said to contact gcc-patches-owner@gcc.gnu.org.
>>Can that person remove people from the global deny list as well?
>
>Yes.  The message is accurate.
>
>>AFAICT, he's not in any of the list-specific deny lists, only the
>>global one so I'm not sure if gcc-patches-owner would have worked.
>
>He did send email there and I would have removed him when I saw the
>email.
>
>I implemented a cron job to check for this type of thing recently.
>Apparently it isn't working since it should have notified me that
>this account was added to the list.  It would have been nice to be
>able to investigate this prior to removing him.

As it turns out, I didn't need a live test case because there were
already several available.

It took me an embarassingly long time to figure out that I hadn't used
absolute paths in my script so some programs were not being executed,
resulting in no output.

I'm now getting email telling me when people who are subscribed to any
mailing list at sourceware.org are also subscribed to the global deny
list so, with luck, the window of inconvenience will be smaller.
Eventually, I'll probably add this check so that subscribers will not be
automatically subscribed to the deny list if they send email to a
honeypot.

cgf