* removing someone from the global deny list
@ 2004-03-02  2:48 Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2004-03-02  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

One of Geoff's colleagues, zlaski@apple.com, somehow ended up on the
global deny list.  Can someone please remove him and, if possible,
tell me how he got on it so he doesn't end up on it again?  I'm not
wise in the ways of qmail/ezmlm so I'm not really sure what he did
to get on the deny list.

His bounce message said to contact gcc-patches-owner@gcc.gnu.org.
Can that person remove people from the global deny list as well?
AFAICT, he's not in any of the list-specific deny lists, only the
global one so I'm not sure if gcc-patches-owner would have worked.

Thanks

--Angela

* Re: removing someone from the global deny list
@ 2004-03-02  3:10 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-03-02  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: overseers

Angela Marie Thomas <angela@foam.wonderslug.com> writes:

> One of Geoff's colleagues, zlaski@apple.com, somehow ended up on the
> global deny list.  Can someone please remove him and, if possible,
> tell me how he got on it so he doesn't end up on it again?  I'm not
> wise in the ways of qmail/ezmlm so I'm not really sure what he did
> to get on the deny list.
>
> His bounce message said to contact gcc-patches-owner@gcc.gnu.org.
> Can that person remove people from the global deny list as well?
> AFAICT, he's not in any of the list-specific deny lists, only the
> global one so I'm not sure if gcc-patches-owner would have worked.

I removed him by doing this:
    /qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-list /qmail/lists/global/deny

The way to get on this list is typically to send e-mail to a bogus
address.

Ian

* Re: removing someone from the global deny list
@ 2004-03-02  3:16   ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2004-03-02  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

> I removed him by doing this:
>     /qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-list /qmail/lists/global/deny
>
> The way to get on this list is typically to send e-mail to a bogus
> address.
>
> Ian

Thanks.  I couldn't see hwo to tell if he'd sent mail to a bogus list
or not.  I recall a thread about patches@ being a honeypot but couldn't
figure out how to tell whether he'd sent mail to that or not.

I'll let him know he can post again.  Thanks again.

@ 2004-03-02 13:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-03-02 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:59:11PM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>One of Geoff's colleagues, zlaski@apple.com, somehow ended up on the
>global deny list.  Can someone please remove him and, if possible,
>tell me how he got on it so he doesn't end up on it again?  I'm not
>wise in the ways of qmail/ezmlm so I'm not really sure what he did
>to get on the deny list.
>
>His bounce message said to contact gcc-patches-owner@gcc.gnu.org.
>Can that person remove people from the global deny list as well?

Yes.  The message is accurate.

>AFAICT, he's not in any of the list-specific deny lists, only the
>global one so I'm not sure if gcc-patches-owner would have worked.

He did send email there and I would have removed him when I saw the
email.

I implemented a cron job to check for this type of thing recently.
Apparently it isn't working since it should have notified me that
this account was added to the list.  It would have been nice to be
able to investigate this prior to removing him.

cgf

* Re: removing someone from the global deny list
@ 2004-03-02 13:45     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-03-02 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:27:22PM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>>I removed him by doing this:
>>    /qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-list /qmail/lists/global/deny
>>
>>The way to get on this list is typically to send e-mail to a bogus
>>address.
>
>Thanks.  I couldn't see hwo to tell if he'd sent mail to a bogus list
>or not.  I recall a thread about patches@ being a honeypot but couldn't
>figure out how to tell whether he'd sent mail to that or not.

This is often the result of one of the viruses which sends email with
bogus From: addresses.

cgf

* Re: removing someone from the global deny list
@ 2004-03-02 14:45   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-03-02 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:42:38AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:59:11PM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>>One of Geoff's colleagues, zlaski@apple.com, somehow ended up on the
>>global deny list.  Can someone please remove him and, if possible,
>>tell me how he got on it so he doesn't end up on it again?  I'm not
>>wise in the ways of qmail/ezmlm so I'm not really sure what he did
>>to get on the deny list.
>>
>>His bounce message said to contact gcc-patches-owner@gcc.gnu.org.
>>Can that person remove people from the global deny list as well?
>
>Yes.  The message is accurate.
>
>>AFAICT, he's not in any of the list-specific deny lists, only the
>>global one so I'm not sure if gcc-patches-owner would have worked.
>
>He did send email there and I would have removed him when I saw the
>email.
>
>I implemented a cron job to check for this type of thing recently.
>Apparently it isn't working since it should have notified me that
>this account was added to the list.  It would have been nice to be
>able to investigate this prior to removing him.

As it turns out, I didn't need a live test case because there were
already several available.

It took me an embarassingly long time to figure out that I hadn't used
absolute paths in my script so some programs were not being executed,
resulting in no output.

I'm now getting email telling me when people who are subscribed to any
mailing list at sourceware.org are also subscribed to the global deny
list so, with luck, the window of inconvenience will be smaller.
Eventually, I'll probably add this check so that subscribers will not be
automatically subscribed to the deny list if they send email to a
honeypot.

cgf