* Any objections to using proftp over wuftpd?
@ 2004-04-29  8:10 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-04-29  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I was thinking of changing the ftp server on the system to proftpd.
This package gives as good or better configurability and, I suspect,
that it is probably a little faster and maybe less noisy, as far as the
log files are concerned.

Does anyone have any negative experience with proftpd?  I think that
vsftpd is out of the running since it doesn't seem to allow download
restriction per host type, which we need if we only want mirrors to
download cygwin via anonymous ftp.

cgf

* Re: Any objections to using proftp over wuftpd?
@ 2004-11-26  7:13 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-11-26  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:41:13AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I was thinking of changing the ftp server on the system to proftpd.
>This package gives as good or better configurability and, I suspect,
>that it is probably a little faster and maybe less noisy, as far as the
>log files are concerned.
>
>Does anyone have any negative experience with proftpd?  I think that
>vsftpd is out of the running since it doesn't seem to allow download
>restriction per host type, which we need if we only want mirrors to
>download cygwin via anonymous ftp.

It's been a long time coming but I've finally changed the ftp on
sourceware/gcc from wu-ftpd to proftpd.  It was an effortless transition
after setting up the apache-like configuration file so I probably
screwed something up.  :-)

The log files for proftpd reside in /var/log/proftpd/* and in
/var/log/xferlog.  The configuration file is /etc/proftpd.conf.

Note that proftpd is controlled via the 'service' command rather than
the 'svc' command.  So, "service proftpd reload", "service proftpd stop",
etc.

FYI,

@ 2004-11-26 23:31   ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2004-11-26 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> It's been a long time coming but I've finally changed the ftp on
> sourceware/gcc from wu-ftpd to proftpd.  It was an effortless transition
> after setting up the apache-like configuration file so I probably
> screwed something up.  :-)

What was /pub on the site is now / - i.e. all existing FTP paths are
broken.  A symlink pub -> . would probably fix things, but it might be
better to change the configuration to restore the old arrangement.

Also, the message

     If you experience any problems here, contact : root@localhost

should have a real email address.  Otherwise things look good.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk

* Re: Any objections to using proftp over wuftpd?
@ 2004-11-27  2:13     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-11-27  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Joseph S. Myers

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 11:30:19PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> It's been a long time coming but I've finally changed the ftp on
>> sourceware/gcc from wu-ftpd to proftpd.  It was an effortless transition
>> after setting up the apache-like configuration file so I probably
>> screwed something up.  :-)
>
>What was /pub on the site is now / - i.e. all existing FTP paths are
>broken.

ftpd just cd's to /pub initially.  Any FTP url should still be safe.  Try
cd'ing to /.  If that's a big problem I can change it but I sort of like
this behavior.

>Also, the message
>
>     If you experience any problems here, contact : root@localhost
>
>should have a real email address.  Otherwise things look good.

You'd think I'd notice this after running ftp 27 times.  The startup
message is a little too generic.  I'll fix that.

@ 2004-11-27  2:20       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-11-27  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Joseph S. Myers

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 09:13:04PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 11:30:19PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>> It's been a long time coming but I've finally changed the ftp on
>>> sourceware/gcc from wu-ftpd to proftpd.  It was an effortless transition
>>> after setting up the apache-like configuration file so I probably
>>> screwed something up.  :-)
>>
>>What was /pub on the site is now / - i.e. all existing FTP paths are
>>broken.
>
>ftpd just cd's to /pub initially.  Any FTP url should still be safe.  Try
>cd'ing to /.  If that's a big problem I can change it but I sort of like
>this behavior.

Nevermind.  I guess I should have kept reading.

@ 2004-11-27  2:26       ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2004-11-27  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> ftpd just cd's to /pub initially.  Any FTP url should still be safe.  Try
> cd'ing to /.  If that's a big problem I can change it but I sort of like
> this behavior.

FTP URLs aren't defined by RFC1738 to start with CWD / unless they go
ftp://host/%2F/..., so that doesn't work.  But I see it's now fixed,
thanks!

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk