* Re: cygwin package-* cgi scripts removed
       [not found]     ` <20040712230501.GA12996@trixie.casa.cgf.cx>
@ 2004-07-12 23:29       ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2004-07-12 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen, Sourceware Overseers

Hi -

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:05:01PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> [...]
> I checked how the breakin happened and believe that I've modified the scripts
> so that they can't be exploited that way again.  I thought they were somehow
> doing something with the regexes but they were exploiting an open instead.

While the new code appears more robust, I would appreciate
a far more aggressive checking of the input, such as those
procedures suggested on the web for securing CGI scripts.
For example, the script should reject any access outside its
base file hierarchy (../../../../etc/passwd).  (The "h1" procedure
call by the way is generating errors - see /var/log/httpd/*error_log.)

Are you sure that you need this script at all, by the way, rather
than using plain HEADER / DirectoryIndex?

- FChE