* ram for sourceware
@ 2004-07-22 19:43 Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2004-07-22 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

The 4GB of ram for sourceware passed numerous runs of memtest86 and I think we can
safely rule out bad ram as a possibility for previous sourceware stability issues.

When the next rhel3 kernel update comes out with an updated aacraid driver I suggest we
try switching to 4GB of ram again (suspecting of course highmem problems with the current
aacraid driver).

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator and Sr. Manager of Ruminants

* Re: ram for sourceware
@ 2004-07-23 12:13 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-23 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Galgoci; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:22:42PM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>The 4GB of ram for sourceware passed numerous runs of memtest86 and I
>think we can safely rule out bad ram as a possibility for previous
>sourceware stability issues.
>
>When the next rhel3 kernel update comes out with an updated aacraid
>driver I suggest we try switching to 4GB of ram again (suspecting of
>course highmem problems with the current aacraid driver).

FWIW, I've been dutifully keeping the kernel rpm on sourceware
up-to-date.  Has there been an aacraid update in the last couple of
months?

Also, not to make even more work for you, but isn't there a firmware
update we should be applying to the machine?

cgf

* sourceware not accepting connections?
@ 2004-08-05  1:49 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2004-08-05  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers
  Cc: Matthew Galgoci, Christopher Faylor, Angela Thomas, Ian Lance Taylor

I dunno what's up.  From inside the Apple network I can't get
to ssh or mail:

[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda% telnet sources.redhat.com 22
Trying 12.107.209.250...
Connected to sourceware.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda% telnet sources.redhat.com 25
Trying 12.107.209.250...
telnet: connect to address 12.107.209.250: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda%

From my molenda.com ISP shell account I can get in on port 25, but
port 22 is denied to me.

* sourceware not accepting connections?
@ 2004-08-05  2:13   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2004-08-05  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers
  Cc: Matthew Galgoci, Christopher Faylor, Angela Thomas, Ian Lance Taylor

I dunno what's up.  From inside the Apple network I can't get
to ssh or mail:

[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda% telnet sources.redhat.com 22
Trying 12.107.209.250...
Connected to sourceware.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda% telnet sources.redhat.com 25
Trying 12.107.209.250...
telnet: connect to address 12.107.209.250: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda%

From my molenda.com ISP shell account I can get in on port 25, but
port 22 is denied to me.

* Re: sourceware not accepting connections?
@ 2004-08-05  2:51   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-08-05  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: overseers, Matthew Galgoci, Angela Thomas, Ian Lance Taylor

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:49:49PM -0700, Jason Molenda wrote:
>I dunno what's up.  From inside the Apple network I can't get
>to ssh or mail:
>
>[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda% telnet sources.redhat.com 22
>Trying 12.107.209.250...
>Connected to sourceware.org.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda% telnet sources.redhat.com 25
>Trying 12.107.209.250...
>telnet: connect to address 12.107.209.250: Connection refused
>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
>[moleja:src/include/aout] jmolenda%

From my molenda.com ISP shell account I can get in on port 25, but
>port 22 is denied to me.

Can you get in now?  I restarted ssh and have no problems accessing port
25 from home or TimeSys.

cgf

* Re: sourceware not accepting connections?
@ 2004-08-05  3:24     ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2004-08-05  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor
  Cc: Jason Molenda, overseers, Angela Thomas, Ian Lance Taylor

> >From my molenda.com ISP shell account I can get in on port 25, but
> >port 22 is denied to me.
>
> Can you get in now?  I restarted ssh and have no problems accessing port
> 25 from home or TimeSys.
>
> cgf

it could well be that sourceware was attacked. I know that most of the boxes
I admin that have external ssh access are being hammered upon by seemingly
automated scripts from all over the place. :(

--

@ 2004-08-05  3:28       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-08-05  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Galgoci; +Cc: Jason Molenda, overseers, Angela Thomas, Ian Lance Taylor

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:21:57PM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>>From my molenda.com ISP shell account I can get in on port 25, but port
>>>22 is denied to me.
>>
>>Can you get in now?  I restarted ssh and have no problems accessing
>>port 25 from home or TimeSys.
>
>it could well be that sourceware was attacked.  I know that most of the
>boxes I admin that have external ssh access are being hammered upon by
>seemingly automated scripts from all over the place.  :(

I've noticed an increase in simple minded attempts to login via
dictionary type access for cvs and ssh.

I guess we're just popular...

cgf