From: Jason Molenda <jason-swarelist@molenda.com>
To: overseers@sourceware.org, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi all, sorry for not following the discussion too closely...

Yeah, I know mhonarc can be configured to do all sorts of munging
on the contents of messages.  I haven't looked at it recently (I've
been meaning to update the version on sourceware for a year or two
now... sigh), but we're not treading new ground here.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:44:06PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Actually, if we munged everything consistently, we could provide an interface
> which gave you raw email addresses again, if you knew the secret handshake.
>
> Perhaps Jason Molenda would like to comment on this interesting new idea that
> I have just invented now, off the top of my head, without any prior knowledge
> of anything which could potentially have been done before...

Hehe, yeah, as Chris implies, the "get raw text" cgi-mechanism that
all the mailing list archives use does its munging on the fly; the
files on disk are stored unmunged.  Right now it only munges addresses
in headers; it would have to be modified by hand to munge addresses
in the body of messages.

But Chris, I'm not sure what you're impling here?  An option to the cgi
script that would NOT munge the headers?  Surely that would be exploitable
by spammers, wouldn't it?  Sounds like security through obscurity to me.
Not a good plan, that.  nomunge=1.