* Fwd: Target processor detection
       [not found] <009f01c5ec3a$ee023eb0$df0a0a0a@piotrw>
@ 2005-11-18 18:06 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-11-18 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Do we have any policy on very long and annoying signatures?  Should we?

Begin forwarded message:

* Re: Fwd: Target processor detection
@ 2005-11-18 18:51   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-11-18 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers

Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:

> Do we have any policy on very long and annoying signatures?  Should we?

We don't have a policy on long and annoying signatures, but we do have
a policy on signatures like this one which prohibit disseminating the
information.  They are prohibited, as described on
    http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html

When I feel like it, I reply suggesting the use of a free e-mail web
based e-mail account instead.

There has been some discussion of detecting these and blocking them
automatically, but it has not been implemented.

Ian

* Re: Fwd: Target processor detection
@ 2005-11-18 20:28     ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2005-11-18 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Mike Stump, overseers

> > Do we have any policy on very long and annoying signatures?  Should we?
>
> We don't have a policy on long and annoying signatures, but we do have
> a policy on signatures like this one which prohibit disseminating the
> information.  They are prohibited, as described on
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html
>
> When I feel like it, I reply suggesting the use of a free e-mail web
> based e-mail account instead.
>
> There has been some discussion of detecting these and blocking them
> automatically, but it has not been implemented.

Heh, maybe we should impliment a mailing list subscription web interface
with a click-through subscriber agreement :)

--
Matthew Galgoci
GIS Production Operations

* Re: Fwd: Target processor detection
@ 2005-11-19  4:32     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-11-19  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, mrs

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:02:20AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:
>
>> Do we have any policy on very long and annoying signatures?  Should we?
>
>We don't have a policy on long and annoying signatures, but we do have
>a policy on signatures like this one which prohibit disseminating the
>information.  They are prohibited, as described on
>    http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html
>
>When I feel like it, I reply suggesting the use of a free e-mail web
>based e-mail account instead.
>
>There has been some discussion of detecting these and blocking them
>automatically, but it has not been implemented.

We could block email that contains the phrase:

"This email [a-z\s]* (?:is|are) confidential"

Should I add this?  I haven't done this before because this will be
flagged as spam when it isn't strictly spam and that could cause
confusion.

cgf