* E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-03 21:27 Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-03 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

GDB's bug database seems to still be using my old email address,
jimb@redhat.com.  Could you change it to use jimb@red-bean.com?  (Or
can I change it myself?  I looked around in the Gnats web interface
and didn't see any way to do so.)

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-04 16:20 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-03-04 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: overseers

Jim Blandy wrote:
> GDB's bug database seems to still be using my old email address,
> jimb@redhat.com.  Could you change it to use jimb@red-bean.com?  (Or
> can I change it myself?  I looked around in the Gnats web interface
> and didn't see any way to do so.)

I've changed the address for you in the "responsible" file, which is what
maps the GNATS id "jimb" to an e-mail address.

However I haven't touched anything else, including in particular all the
bugs which were originated by you. While a global search and replace in
/sourceware/gnats/gdb-db is possible, I'm not sure whether it's a good
idea. If someone responsible wants to say it is ok, then I will do it.

Jifl

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-04 16:39   ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers

On 3/4/06, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
> I've changed the address for you in the "responsible" file, which is what
> maps the GNATS id "jimb" to an e-mail address.
>
> However I haven't touched anything else, including in particular all the
> bugs which were originated by you. While a global search and replace in
> /sourceware/gnats/gdb-db is possible, I'm not sure whether it's a good
> idea. If someone responsible wants to say it is ok, then I will do it.

Well, thanks very much for updating the "responsible file", at least, Jonathan.

I think a global search and replace is okay.  None of the bugs in the
public database were things Red Hat was waiting for, and I hope to
continue to contribute to GDB in my new job.

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-05  1:48     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-03-05  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: overseers

Jim Blandy wrote:
> On 3/4/06, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
>
>>I've changed the address for you in the "responsible" file, which is what
>>maps the GNATS id "jimb" to an e-mail address.
>>
>>However I haven't touched anything else, including in particular all the
>>bugs which were originated by you. While a global search and replace in
>>/sourceware/gnats/gdb-db is possible, I'm not sure whether it's a good
>>idea. If someone responsible wants to say it is ok, then I will do it.
>

> Well, thanks very much for updating the "responsible file", at least, Jonathan.
>
> I think a global search and replace is okay.  None of the bugs in the
> public database were things Red Hat was waiting for, and I hope to
> continue to contribute to GDB in my new job.

Well it's true you're not exactly anybody :-), so I've gone and done it.
History has now been revised ;).

Just in case, I've kept a backup of the previous version in
/tmp/gdb-db.tbz. tmpwatch will eat it after a while if it turns out not to
be needed.

Jifl

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-05 12:07       ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers

On 3/4/06, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
> Well it's true you're not exactly anybody :-), so I've gone and done it.
> History has now been revised ;).
>
> Just in case, I've kept a backup of the previous version in
> /tmp/gdb-db.tbz. tmpwatch will eat it after a while if it turns out not to
> be needed.

Okay, thanks very much.  The main effect this will have is saving my
poor former manager from having to forward random gnats notes to me
over the next few years, so I appreciate it.

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 17:30       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2006-03-06 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Jim Blandy, overseers

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Well it's true you're not exactly anybody :-), so I've gone and done it.
> History has now been revised ;).

There's something very wrong about this.  The fact that the material was
submitted by Red Hat, and as such covered by Red Hat's assignment has
been lost (Jim doesn't actually have a GDB assignment).

Would we, for instance, agree to someone going through the ChangeLogs
making equivalent edits?

Jim, perahps we should discuss this as a policy with the committee?

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 18:00         ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-06 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, overseers

On 3/6/06, Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
> > Well it's true you're not exactly anybody :-), so I've gone and done it.
> > History has now been revised ;).
>
> There's something very wrong about this.  The fact that the material was
> submitted by Red Hat, and as such covered by Red Hat's assignment has
> been lost (Jim doesn't actually have a GDB assignment).
>
> Would we, for instance, agree to someone going through the ChangeLogs
> making equivalent edits?
>
> Jim, perahps we should discuss this as a policy with the committee?

I understand that you're eager to refer me to the committee, but I
don't think that's really needed.  :)  The dates on those bug reports
indicate that they were filed while I was working for Red Hat; the
E-mail address I filed them under doesn't matter.

I'm working for CodeSourcery now, and they also have a blanket
assignment in place.

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 18:22           ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-03-06 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, overseers

Jim Blandy wrote:
>>Jim, perahps we should discuss this as a policy with the committee?
>

> I understand that you're eager to refer me to the committee, but I
> don't think that's really needed.  :)  [snip]

Since there's a question mark and it's not up to me to decide the whys and
wherefores, I've reverted the second change. I can quickly reinstate it
when it's clear what should happen.

Jifl

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 18:29             ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-03-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Jim Blandy, Andrew Cagney, overseers

Hi -

If we're talking only about the gnats account/history, surely that
does not arouse copyright assignment concerns.  No one has seriously
proposed rewriting ChangeLog entries, which do go with the code.

- FChE

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 18:35             ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-06 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, overseers

On 3/6/06, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
> Since there's a question mark and it's not up to me to decide the whys and
> wherefores, I've reverted the second change. I can quickly reinstate it
> when it's clear what should happen.

I don't blame you.

I don't believe that changing the E-mail address affects the copyright
status of the bugs.  Many people file bugs under personal addresses
while working for companies that have blanket assignments.  What's
relevant is that I was working for Red Hat when I submitted the
material.  The only effect of leaving my redhat.com address in place
is that replies to the bugs will go to my former manager, who will
have to sort them out.

I think this is a case where the person who is willing to fight the
hardest (Andrew) gets what he wants, because nobody else (myself
included) is willing to push it through to a more reasonable
conclusion.  I'm not willing to ask for an opinion from Red Hat
counsel because I still have good wishes for Red Hat, and I think the
question is a distraction from more important things.

I'll simply add myself to the CC list for the bugs I filed, and tell
my old manager he can ignore any messages to me from GNATS.

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 18:46               ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-06 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, Andrew Cagney, overseers

On 3/6/06, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
> If we're talking only about the gnats account/history, surely that
> does not arouse copyright assignment concerns.  No one has seriously
> proposed rewriting ChangeLog entries, which do go with the code.

Only Andrew has suggested a comparison between changing mail addresses
in bugs and changing mail addresses in ChangeLogs.  I have never
requested that.

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 18:59           ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2006-03-06 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, overseers

Jim Blandy wrote: [snip]

Hey, I like it, you're making it sound like a conspiracy :-)

It is that in all these years, I don't recall anyone ever asking for
their @redhat.com to be edited out of old bugs.  We certainly didn't
edit out @cugnus.com ;-)  I guess someone had to be first.

Consequently, we've never actually discussed the implications (be it
here or within the relevant community) of that action.  Perhaps there
are none?  Perhaps all e-mails should be sent to @sourceware.org (did
you remember to get your @sourceware.org .forward updated ;-).  Either
way, I think we should be careful here, and consider each move.  We
certainly don't want to be pushing through a quick executive decision.

Anyway, there's an easy solution, how about we concentrate on closing
the bugs.  That way Eric won't get to see any more e-mails :-)

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 19:03             ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-03-06 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Jim Blandy, Jonathan Larmour, overseers

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 14:00 -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Jim Blandy wrote: [snip]
>
> Hey, I like it, you're making it sound like a conspiracy :-)
>
> It is that in all these years, I don't recall anyone ever asking for
> their @redhat.com to be edited out of old bugs.  We certainly didn't
> edit out @cugnus.com ;-)  I guess someone had to be first.

I'd just like to point out that this has happened numerous times
(probably about 30) for GCC Bugzilla.  I've always honored these
requests.  Probably 3 or 4 of them were from people changing from
redhat.com to other addresses.

I just happily change the email addresses, which automatically revises
history (IE now the comments look like they came from a different email
address).

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 19:10             ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-03-06 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Jim Blandy, Jonathan Larmour, overseers

Hi -

> [...]  Consequently, we've never actually discussed the implications
> (be it here or within the relevant community) of that action.
> Perhaps there are none?  [...]  I think we should be careful here,
> and consider each move.  [...]

Unless you can suggest a plausible concern (rather than a meta-concern
about hypothetical concerns), please don't stand in the way.

- FChE

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-06 19:18               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-03-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jim Blandy

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:35:28AM -0800, Jim Blandy wrote:
>On 3/6/06, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
>> Since there's a question mark and it's not up to me to decide the whys and
>> wherefores, I've reverted the second change. I can quickly reinstate it
>> when it's clear what should happen.
>
>I don't blame you.
>
>I don't believe that changing the E-mail address affects the copyright
>status of the bugs.  Many people file bugs under personal addresses
>while working for companies that have blanket assignments.  What's
>relevant is that I was working for Red Hat when I submitted the
>material.  The only effect of leaving my redhat.com address in place
>is that replies to the bugs will go to my former manager, who will
>have to sort them out.
>
>I think this is a case where the person who is willing to fight the
>hardest (Andrew) gets what he wants, because nobody else (myself
>included) is willing to push it through to a more reasonable
>conclusion.  I'm not willing to ask for an opinion from Red Hat
>counsel because I still have good wishes for Red Hat, and I think the
>question is a distraction from more important things.

Actually, Jim, I'm not sure what Red Hat counsel or the steering
committee has to do with anything.  If we don't change your email
address we'll either be spamming a noninterested third party or
(eventually) generating guaranteed email bounces.  I think it makes
sense to change any problem email addresses in GNATS.

I realize that we haven't done this for everyone who changes jobs but I
think it makes sense to do so and I think it is to your credit that you
even thought about this.

Neither Red Hat nor the gdb steering committee exercise any formal
control over the day-to-day operations of this site so unless it is the
consensus of the site administrators that Jonathan's change was a bad
idea, I think we should probably just take steps to change all of the
jimb@redhat.com's to whatever Jim suggests.

cgf

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-22  0:45                 ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-22  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jim Blandy

On 3/6/06, Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> wrote:
> Actually, Jim, I'm not sure what Red Hat counsel or the steering
> committee has to do with anything.  If we don't change your email
> address we'll either be spamming a noninterested third party or
> (eventually) generating guaranteed email bounces.  I think it makes
> sense to change any problem email addresses in GNATS.
>
> I realize that we haven't done this for everyone who changes jobs but I
> think it makes sense to do so and I think it is to your credit that you
> even thought about this.
>
> Neither Red Hat nor the gdb steering committee exercise any formal
> control over the day-to-day operations of this site so unless it is the
> consensus of the site administrators that Jonathan's change was a bad
> idea, I think we should probably just take steps to change all of the
> jimb@redhat.com's to whatever Jim suggests.

It's been two weeks and there haven't been further comments on this
question.  At this point, I believe sourceware will be getting bounces
for mail sent to jimb@redhat.com.  I think the most constructive thing
would be to change those addresses to jimb@red-bean.com.

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-22 13:45                   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-03-22 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: overseers

Jim Blandy wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> wrote:
>
>>Actually, Jim, I'm not sure what Red Hat counsel or the steering
>>committee has to do with anything.  If we don't change your email
>>address we'll either be spamming a noninterested third party or
>>(eventually) generating guaranteed email bounces.  I think it makes
>>sense to change any problem email addresses in GNATS.
>>
>>I realize that we haven't done this for everyone who changes jobs but I
>>think it makes sense to do so and I think it is to your credit that you
>>even thought about this.
>>
>>Neither Red Hat nor the gdb steering committee exercise any formal
>>control over the day-to-day operations of this site so unless it is the
>>consensus of the site administrators that Jonathan's change was a bad
>>idea, I think we should probably just take steps to change all of the
>>jimb@redhat.com's to whatever Jim suggests.
>

> It's been two weeks and there haven't been further comments on this
> question.  At this point, I believe sourceware will be getting bounces
> for mail sent to jimb@redhat.com.  I think the most constructive thing
> would be to change those addresses to jimb@red-bean.com.

I think the management of the GDB Gnats database is down to the GDB
maintainers. If there's been no further comments, then I think you need to
be talking to them. Although I imagine that changing it to
jimb@sourceware.org (which points to red-bean.com) may seem a little less
revisionist to them.

FAOD new PRs in the relevant categories are (still) being assigned to
jimb@red-bean.com.

Jifl

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-24  0:08                   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-03-24  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jim Blandy

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:45:03PM -0800, Jim Blandy wrote:
>It's been two weeks and there haven't been further comments on this
>question.  At this point, I believe sourceware will be getting bounces
>for mail sent to jimb@redhat.com.  I think the most constructive thing
>would be to change those addresses to jimb@red-bean.com.

I changed all of the jimb@redhat.com's to jimb@sourceware.org's earlier
today.

Thanks again for thinking of this and seeing it through.

cgf

* Re: E-mail address in GDB Gnats
@ 2006-03-24  0:24                     ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2006-03-24  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jim Blandy

On 3/23/06, Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> wrote:
> I changed all of the jimb@redhat.com's to jimb@sourceware.org's earlier
> today.
>
> Thanks again for thinking of this and seeing it through.

Thanks very much; I appreciate it.  I hadn't expected it to take up so
much of people's time.